Alien: Isolation Is Free Again on Epic Games Store

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
alien-isolation-key-art-amanda-alien-corner-1024x576.jpg
Image: Creative Assembly

The Epic Games Store is giving away Alien Isolation for free again until April 29. Developed by Creative Assembly, it tells the story of Ripley’s daughter, Amanda, who takes on jobs that push her deeper into space to find out what happened to her mother. One such job leads her to a decrepit space station that descends into anarchy and terror when things go from bad to worse. Alien Isolation was released in 2014 to much acclaim and garnered many awards for its fresh approach.

When she left Earth, Ellen Ripley promised her daughter she would return home to celebrate her 11th birthday. She never made it. Fifteen years later, Amanda Ripley learns that the flight recorder from her mother’s ship has been recovered...

Continue reading...

I got this back when it was $4 on some discount CD key site. I couldn't get into it. Then again, it's not really my style of game to be perfectly honest. For $4, I thought, why the hell not?

It was given away on Steam for free some time ago, and I grabbed it then, but like Dan said, I couldn't get into it. It's not my type of game.

I bought it at launch on Steam w/ DLC. I mostly enjoyed its visuals and played it to finish plus the DLC. I also liked how it managed to look good but was also one of the first games I could play in 4K at 60 FPS. The thing I ended up loathing about it was all the backtracking. That has killed any replayability for me. I tried many times to go back and never got more than an hour or so into it before I got burned out again. The funny thing is that in some ways I feel it would've made a better movie instead.

This is the best horror game ever made, period. The rest are a joke, and none of them are actually scary. This game kept me up at nights, so I had to force myself to only play during the day instead of the evening.

The gameplay borrows elements from System Shock 2, the minigames are well made, the crafting system is alright too. The Alien AI is some of the best if not the best ever seen in a game. It has a mind of its own, you never feel safe, you can never be comfortable that you evaded the alien. And the other enemies like the working joes might not be as scary as the alien but they are creepy and can get you in trouble if they corner you.

This game kept me up at nights, so I had to force myself to only play during the day instead of the evening.
There are some pretty simple fixes to get it to work in VR or 3D as well. I experimented with the 3D since I've got some 3D displays and it was pretty wild. I could only imagine how scary it would be in VR with along with a nice set of headphones.

This is how I feel about Control. I hate nonstop backtracking.

I had the same problem with Halo 5. You go through an area as the Master Chief and then go back through the same exact area as Spartan Locke.

Control is one I'm still trying to get back to as well. I'll probably never finish that one.

Become a Patron!
Back