AM5 Platform Will Be Around Just As Long As AM4, AMD Confirms

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-socket-am5-slide-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD users who are planning to upgrade to the AM5 platform this year can rest assured that their motherboards will support multiple generations of Ryzen chips to come.

That’s according to the president and CEO of red team herself, Dr. Lisa Su, who confirmed in a virtual press roundtable with various publications that AM5 should be a “long-lived platform” similar to AM4, which has been on the market for years now. AMD announced the AM4 platform’s first chipsets, the A320, B350, and X370, in early 2017.

“AMD committed to the AM4 platform, the AM4 socket for quite a long time,” asked a member of the press. “Can you guys give us any idea of how long you will stick with AM5?”

“Well, we’ve been extremely pleased with how AM4 has evolved….we said we would keep that socket for a long time and we have,” Su responded. “We continue to believe that it has been good for the...

Continue reading...

And all the coolers for AM4 will fit AM5. I guess no new waterblocks for me this next round, if I decide to go AM5.

I'm still waiting to see if they release a ryzen 9 with the Stacked cache.

And all the coolers for AM4 will fit AM5. I guess no new waterblocks for me this next round, if I decide to go AM5.
Same for me. If someone made a 99% silver block, it would probably be worth the cost given how long AM5 is likely to stick around. Toss it on AM4 now, then reuse later.

Become a Patron!
Back