Amazon Developing Free-to-Play Lord of the Rings MMO

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Amazon Game Studios has partnered with Leyou Technologies Holdings and Middle-earth Enterprises for a free-to-play massively multiplayer online title based on J.R.R. Tolkien's seminal trilogy of fantasy novels, The Lord of the Rings. It'll be available on both PC and consoles, but no release date has been set.

While gameplay details are non-existant, fans should expect an epic and immersive world to explore. Amazon is also working on a TV series based on The Lord of the Rings, but the MMO doesn't seem to tie into it.

“We’re committed to bringing customers games of the highest quality, both with our own original IP as well as beloved cultural pillars like The Lord of the Rings,” said Christoph Hartmann, VP, Amazon Game Studios. “Tolkien’s Middle-earth is one of the richest fictional worlds in history, and it gives our team of experienced MMO developers — from the same studio developing New World — tremendous opportunity to play and create. We have a strong leadership team in place to helm this new project, and we’re actively growing our team to help build this incredible experience.”

I'd rather buy something that you know won't be filled with ads, P2W content and personal data mining.

I enjoyed LOTRO years ago.. Would be nice to see a modern take

Ooooohhh... shouldn't somebody tell them someones already made that game?
Boy are they going to be embarrassed when they find out.
That's almost as bad as showing up to work wearing the same shirt as your boss. ;)😆

LOTRO is alive.
I do not see many Tolkien fans giving up on LOTRO for a new MMO, and without a new anime/ movie, Tolkien will not get new fans.

LOTRO is alive.
I do not see many Tolkien fans giving up on LOTRO for a new MMO, and without a new anime/ movie, Tolkien will not get new fans.

I figure they're hoping their LOTR-related television series will make the IP popular again and help the MMO be successful.

Still, I dunno, like others have said LOTRO is still out there, has a dedicated fanbase whom I bet won't move to a new studio's game (unless they're related, I'm ignorant of the games development). And, it seems like the peak of MMO popularity has dwindled and it's only a few MMOs that are finding success.

I don't think MMO's have peaked so much as stagnated. We need something new that will pull in players. It needs to hit a cord with gamers and MMO Roleplayers alike. It will be interesting to see what actually comes along to scratch that itch.

If it's anything like New World I'll pass.

LOTRO was a fun game in it's day though. It has aged poorly for me.

I'd rather buy something that you know won't be filled with ads, P2W content and personal data mining.

I don't know if you can claim all of these three with ANY software in 2019.

Data mining is pretty much the status quo these days. No matter what software , app, or online service, or ISP you have its main purpose is to collect data on you and sell it on. Venture capital won't even fund companies that don't do it, as they see them as "having left money on the table".

I recently applied to rent a nice house. Landlord required an application and background check through Zillow.com (which I had to pay $29 for). The application process involved listing a resume of properties I had rented before, and references. Within 2 days fake background check company and online scammer "Mylife.com" had somehow obtained that exact list of rental properties I just submitted and were using it to create libelous background results that through SEO showed up on the first page of my google results if somoene googled me, stating in capital letters "ARREST OR COURT RECORDS FOUND".

I've never been arrested. My only encounter with the courts has probably been my divorce proceedings a few years back, so that's probably what they are referring to. They weren't outright lying, but they were intentionally misleading in order to try to get people to pay up to "manage their profile and reputation". Classic protection racket. They must have bought my data from my supposedly confidential application, in order to throw together the partly realistic profile.

So, no matter what the privacy policy says, no matter what company's name is on it, the primary purpose of every single device, every piece of software, every single app, and even your car is to collect data on you, submit it to the home base, and monetize it. The utility the device/software provides to you is secondary. It's just there to suck you in so they can collect the data.

Some people fear the above as a future state. That is nonsense. We are already there. Nobody can avoid it. You can't even opt out of many of these services.

Privacy is dead.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back