Amazon Expected to Lay Off 10,000 Employees Following $1 Trillion Loss in Market Value

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang, I can't believe it's gotten that way for you! I really hope that doesn't end up happening to me (although I can see which way the wind is blowing)! Things have been going the opposite way for me in the past couple years, where sometimes I get stuff shipped to me in one day, and a few times my stuff was even delivered on the same day I ordered!
Wouldn't it be even better if they delivered the genuine items that you ordered though? Bonus if they showed up in one piece. Amazon's packaging is so terribad that I'm surprised digital items survive the trip.
Yeah the "free" 2-day shipping was the primary reason my family jumped on Prime years ago, and for me it's still really the only reason to use Prime.
I don't know what your household structure is like (not my business), but one thing that bugs me about Prime is that benefits can't (easily) be shared with other family members living in the same house. I know they had a problem a long time ago with abuse of the then generous terms, but from memory most cases of abuse involved friends or family that were living at a different location. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if more than two adults are living under the same roof (family or not), one would now either have to purchase more than one Prime membership, or have one of the persons to whom the Prime account is registered place the order on behalf of the non-Prime peasant. Said peasant would presumably then reimburse the Prime-wielding deity. Is that accurate?

Perhaps because of my location, prior to Prime's widespread adoption, I used to receive shipments in a day or two just from the free shipping option. Now it's much slower, probably to encourage people to pay for Prime. I plan ahead, so I've never really cared about the shipping times anyway. I can see why those who use Amazon as a one-stop shop for everything would care though.

Last edited:
Shares in the e-commerce and cloud company fell 4.3% on Wednesday, pushing its market value to about $879 billion from a record close at $1.88 trillion on July 2021. Amazon and Microsoft Corp. were neck-and-neck in the race to breach the unwelcome milestone, with the Windows software maker close behind after having lost $889 billion from a November 2021 peak.
Microsoft came close beating them to the record-setting $1,000,000,000,000 loss in market value.

Wouldn't it be even better if they delivered the genuine items that you ordered though?
Hahahahahahaha they have sent me the wrong item a good amount of times! Happened to family members a few times too.

Amazon's packaging is so terribad that I'm surprised digital items survive the trip.
They f*cking shipped a hard drive to a friend in a f*cking envelope! Of course he didn't even bother to take the HDD out of the bubble wrap, he returned that sh1t.

I don't know what your household structure is like (not my business), but one thing that bugs me about Prime is that benefits can't (easily) be shared with other family members living in the same house. I know they had a problem a long time ago with abuse of the then generous terms, but from memory most cases of abuse involved friends or family that were living at a different location. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if more than two adults are living under the same roof (family or not), one would now either have to purchase more than one Prime membership, or have one of the persons to whom the Prime-account is registered place the order on behalf of the non-Prime peasant. Said peasant would presumably then reimburse the Prime-wielding deity. Is that accurate?
Now it has been a long time since I looked into this, and I don't know the details of the membership, but back when my dad got Amazon Prime, well over a decade ago, we found out his Prime membership could be shared with other accounts. Those other accounts get base Prime membership, such as the 2-day-or-faster shipping, but they don't get access to any of the other benefits, like access to Prime Video. My mom has her own base Amazon account, as do I, and my sister, and my brother. My dad's account shares Prime membership with these other accounts. We all chip in to help pay for the membership. At the time my dad got the Prime membership we were all living in the same house. We all made purchases with our individual accounts and they got delivered to the same house no problem. Nowadays my brother lives on the other side on the country, has both our parents' house and his apartment registered in his Amazon account, and he gets stuff shipped to both addresses. Still got those base Prime benefits. My sister and I live in the same state as our parents, and again we have our own addresses and our parents' addresses saved in our accounts. We get stuff shipped to both places, no issue with the Prime benefits or anything. I also get stuff shipped to my brother's place, no problems with that either. My mom still lives in the same house as my dad, uses her own account to buy stuff, still gets that Prime shipping. So I don't know what to tell yah. Maybe they changed the policy at some point, and my dad's old account and whatever was attached was granfathered in? I have no idea.

Sounds counterindicative to this https://tinyurl.com/37pxkzur
Those are drivers and "fulfillment techs" and are just seasonal, the vast majority of them will be let go around Jan 5 (by the time the major return window is done) -- the 10,000 layoffs are mostly white collar - like AWS engineers and such. At least that's how I understood it.

Now it has been a long time since I looked into this, and I don't know the details of the membership, but back when my dad got Amazon Prime, well over a decade ago, we found out his Prime membership could be shared with other accounts. Those other accounts get base Prime membership, such as the 2-day-or-faster shipping, but they don't get access to any of the other benefits, like access to Prime Video. My mom has her own base Amazon account, as do I, and my sister, and my brother. My dad's account shares Prime membership with these other accounts. We all chip in to help pay for the membership. At the time my dad got the Prime membership we were all living in the same house. We all made purchases with our individual accounts and they got delivered to the same house no problem. Nowadays my brother lives on the other side on the country, has both our parents' house and his apartment registered in his Amazon account, and he gets stuff shipped to both addresses. Still got those base Prime benefits. My sister and I live in the same state as our parents, and again we have our own addresses and our parents' addresses saved in our accounts. We get stuff shipped to both places, no issue with the Prime benefits or anything. I also get stuff shipped to my brother's place, no problems with that either. My mom still lives in the same house as my dad, uses her own account to buy stuff, still gets that Prime shipping. So I don't know what to tell yah. Maybe they changed the policy at some point, and my dad's old account and whatever was attached was granfathered in? I have no idea.
Interesting. Yeah, they did change the policy. It sure sounds like grandfathering to me.

Friendly warning: I'd be careful about editing/changing registered addresses (or whichever other details are linked to the primary Prime account), as I recall reading about individuals losing their prime benefits by changing certain account details years ago when the policy changed. A web search should clarify the matter.

Become a Patron!
Back