AMC Theaters Bans Universal’s Films After Studio Opts for Simultaneous, Day-and-Date Releases

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amc-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMC

If you’re interested in seeing the next Jurassic Park or Fast and Furious film on the silver screen, Regal Cinemas may be your only choice. Following a decision by Universal to release movies simultaneously on digital, AMC Entertainment CEO and President Adam Aron has announced that he’s banning the studio from his theater chain.

The skirmish began after NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell revealed that he’d be embracing the day-and-date model due to the success of Trolls World Tour, which was released early on digital platforms. Despite lacking a theatrical release, the animated film still managed to earn Universal close to $100 million in three weeks.

What’s excellent news for the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
These *******s are circling the drain anyway. Let AMC die if they are going to behave like this. Hopefully more studios will follow suit.

Just a dying industry throwing a hissy fit because they don't get preferential treatment to see content first.

Whatever. In 15 to 20 years movie theaters won't exist outside of retro/specialty establishments.

I go to cinemark and B&B theaters. If you have the last within a reasonable drive I suggest it.

Meh. I stopped going to regular theaters years ago. It's Studio Movie Grill or nothing. I like people bringing me food and beers while I watch a flick.
Exactly the same here. Got a projector/HT in the living room. Beer fridge. Grill(s) are right by the door to the living room. I honestly feel it doesn't get any better.

They looking for Disney to buy them out, that's all.

It sounds like the ones who want the cake are the theatres.
The studios hire the personel, put up the money and take the risks.
They should be able to show their product any way they want.
Things have changed. Theatre chains/multiplexes are going to be a thing of the past.
Yes, I enjoy the bigger screen and surround/dolby features a theatre can offer but my home stuff is good enough, plus it has more function. I can make my own snacks.

It sounds like the ones who want the cake are the theatres.
The studios hire the personel, put up the money and take the risks.
They should be able to show their product any way they want.
Things have changed. Theatre chains/multiplexes are going to be a thing of the past.
Yes, I enjoy the bigger screen and surround/dolby features a theatre can offer but my home stuff is good enough, plus it has more function. I can make my own snacks.

I can't go to theaters anymore.

I need to be able to pause in between scenes to make more drinks, get more snacks, and have a bio break.

I haven't been to a theater in years. The convenience of watching at home, and being able to pause, is well worth the wait for something to come out on bluray.

The upfront investment for a good surround system and good large screen TV can be steep though.

I need to be able to pause in between scenes to make more drinks, get more snacks, and have a bio break.

I haven't been to a theater in years. The convenience of watching at home, and being able to pause, is well worth the wait for something to come out on bluray.

The upfront investment for a good surround system and good large screen TV can be steep though.

I still enjoy the theater experience. Now wife calling your action movie stupid or Asking questions about plot movies thinking they missed some thi g and endlessly asking you to pause it especially if they arnt watching so you can do some menial task for them...

Err I may have gone on a tangent.

In addition to things like these, I also can't stand having to deal with other people in the movie theaters. Between the cell phones and the talking, I feel like I am paying a premium price for a much crappier experience. I usually went to movie theaters during weekday mornings, when theater attendance is the lowest, and there's less chance of dealing with *******s who like to ruin the theater experience (and also to get the cheapest ticket prices). However this does not completely eliminate the chances of running into dickbags, so eventually I said **** it. Awesome home displays and surround sound systems also negate the need for a theater experience. Movie theaters are utterly useless to me. MCU movies got me experimenting with going to the theaters again, after a long hiatus, but I quickly grew tired and went back to watching movies at home. The one good thing I can say about AMC was that they brought ticket prices back down to reasonable levels, at least around where I live. Really it was the $6.XX tickets (and I think $5 on Tuesdays) that first got me to go back. Back in the 2000s when tickets starting getting above $8 I was like fuuuuck dat. Just got worse from there.

I go to watch a movie in the theater maybe once a year. It's not really because it's a better experience... I think it's more of a different experience. I only go when we can take the kid. When you have a blockbuster on the big screen, there's some weight that gets added when 100 other people in the room are "oooo"-ing and "ahhh"-ing along with you while watching the flick. The big soda, the bucket of butter with floating kernels of popcorn, some hard candy that always gets stuck in my teeth, the sticky floors -- it's part of the experience, and as much a nostalgia play as it is anything.

That being said, yeah, it only takes one A-Hole with a phone to completely ruin the experience.

Watching movies at home is always a better viewing experience, but going to the big screen is an experience all of it's own, and one I like to take the kid to every now and again - there's something to be said when that big movie comes out, and years later, you can say "Yeah I saw that in IMAX"

Reactions: _k_
The only film I saw at the cinema in the last few years was The Last Jedi and I was so tired I spent a lot of the film asleep.
This not only made me miss the film but annoyed the friend I went with.

So I bought the Blu Ray last year and played it to my friends on a big TV using Dolby Atmos on my devilish quality hifi, 7.1+4 height and a 1KW seat shaker with 3KW amp lol. <- is nuts
Free beer, sandwiches and biscuits (for my friends anyway and they are more or less free for me when not spending cinema prices!)
All round better experience, much cheaper and no long distance travel + waiting :)
And I can watch it again for free later without crappy streaming quality picture and sound.

The only downside is having to wait for the Blu Ray, but not being a kid any more, no problem :)

The only film I saw at the cinema in the last few years was The Last Jedi and I was so tired I spent a lot of the film asleep.
This not only made me miss the film but annoyed the friend I went with.

So I bought the Blu Ray last year and played it to my friends on a big TV using Dolby Atmos on my devilish quality hifi, 7.1+4 height and a 1KW seat shaker with 3KW amp lol. <- is nuts
Free beer, sandwiches and biscuits (for my friends anyway and they are more or less free for me when not spending cinema prices!)
All round better experience, much cheaper and no long distance travel + waiting :)
And I can watch it again for free later without crappy streaming quality picture and sound.

The only downside is having to wait for the Blu Ray, but not being a kid any more, no problem :)
So the real theater experience is at your house. Noted!! This is the theater I should have been going to the whole time!

I've been running a set of atlantic technologies 5.1 speakers for nearly... heck... 20 years now and they still shake the house.. though the amp on the sub admittedly is on it's last leg. (crackles some as it gets up to temp)

Otherwise no issue. Maybe if the government starts throwing money at us I'll see myself upgrading those... but I doubt it.

I appreciate the Fork & Spoon that i like going to. Beers, mixed drinks, burgers, really nice chairs to recline in. I admit, I would miss the theater experience, however, seeing a new movie in the confines of my own home? Yup, happily accept

So the real theater experience is at your house. Noted!! This is the theater I should have been going to the whole time!
lol, when put like that.
I mean less hassles, more convenient, better food & price and darn good speaker system with a killer shaker push the balance quite far.
My main point is how unnecessarily annoying theatres have become, it breaks the experience.

Become a Patron!
Back