AMD’s Next-Gen Ryzen “Zen 5” CPUs Rumored for August Launch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Ryzen 9000 Series, AMD's next generation of desktop processors and some of the first to boast the company's new Zen 5 cores, may launch as early as August this year alongside the company's "Strix" Zen 5 APUs, with product availability arriving a few months later, in October, suggests new statements shared by AOOSTAR, a mini PC manufacturer.

See full article...

AM5 huh? At least AMD is getting more than 1 generation of cpu's out of their sockets.

AM5 huh? At least AMD is getting more than 1 generation of cpu's out of their sockets.
Intel did pretty good this go around with the 12th and 13th gen. I'm not really counting the 14th gen as it was basically a refresh.

Have we heard anything about updated chipsets yet?

I'm eager to find out if I can finally build another consumer system that allows me to use both a 16x slot and an 8x slot at full speed at the same time.

The 8x slot would obviously need to come through the chipset, but if the up the chipset to Gen5, there should be enough bandwidth to accomplish this... Especially if the 8x slot doesn't need to be faster than Gen3 (which it doesn't)

Have we heard anything about updated chipsets yet?

I'm eager to find out if I can finally build another consumer system that allows me to use both a 16x slot and an 8x slot at full speed at the same time.

The 8x slot would obviously need to come through the chipset, but if the up the chipset to Gen5, there should be enough bandwidth to accomplish this... Especially if the 8x slot doesn't need to be faster than Gen3 (which it doesn't)

Not a ton is known about the specifics that you care about on X870E - looking like it'll be a Sept/Oct release on the boards as none of the board makers I talked to at Computex had a firm date for them as they're waiting on the green flag from AMD (though, many were on display). Overall, the consensus was "meh, it adds Thunderbolt/USB4 and some faster memory capabilities along with higher cost". AMD's chipset page supports that "meh" where it seems the PCIe connectivity is no different than X670E - https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/chipsets/am5.html#chipsets

Not a ton is known about the specifics that you care about on X870E - looking like it'll be a Sept/Oct release on the boards as none of the board makers I talked to at Computex had a firm date for them as they're waiting on the green flag from AMD (though, many were on display). Overall, the consensus was "meh, it adds Thunderbolt/USB4 and some faster memory capabilities along with higher cost". AMD's chipset page supports that "meh" where it seems the PCIe connectivity is no different than X670E - https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/chipsets/am5.html#chipsets
Being able to more reliably run all four memory slots at max speed would be nice. I right now am targeting a high end amd cpu on a mid tier mobo with max ram hopefully at a decent mt rating with xmp enabled.

This report suggests that 40GBPS USB4 will be mandated, which is absolutely useless. I can't think of anyhting at all I would ever use that for...

....unless there are any USB4 to PCIe slot adapters that work well.

Some googling suggests a company named ADT Link reportedly has announced one. Who knows if it is actually obtainable.

1719173951701.png

The specs are ambiguous as to how many actual lanes it has, and what gen they present themselves as. It both losts a max speed of 40Gbps (obviously) and Gen3x2. But Two lanes of Gen3 would only be ~16Gbps, so who knows. I bet one could loop the USB4 cable back into the case and bolt this to the motherboard tray next to the motherboard for an extra slot...

Price is $129. Maybe a little steep, but I'd pay that if it actually does what I need it to.

PCIe over USB seems a bit ghetto and unreliable, but it may just be better than nothing.

Edit: Actually,. never mind. This chart kills it. Nothing above 4x...

1719174423709.png

Last edited:
You say that now. But you could easily do a nice high res VR headset, another external monitor. Docking stations that can actually support multiple 4k displays at >60hz refresh. 5 or 10 gig network as well. Multiple USB 3 and Type C connectors with near full fat connection speeds... amongst other things.

External storage.

DAC for audio processing.

Video capture cards, or high res camera/audio setups.

Mostly useful for laptops and such. Some actual high speed storage on an external drive.

If you want to get really wild a external bootable drive. Work during the day. Get home plug in the game drive boot and play games with corporate none the wiser. :)

And the list go's on.

You say that now. But you could easily do a nice high res VR headset, another external monitor. Docking stations that can actually support multiple 4k displays at >60hz refresh. 5 or 10 gig network as well. Multiple USB 3 and Type C connectors with near full fat connection speeds... amongst other things.

External storage.

DAC for audio processing.

Video capture cards, or high res camera/audio setups.

Mostly useful for laptops and such. Some actual high speed storage on an external drive.

If you want to get really wild a external bootable drive. Work during the day. Get home plug in the game drive boot and play games with corporate none the wiser. :)

And the list go's on.

Fair enough.

I'm not really into anything mobile. I tend to see mobile devices as low performance compromises I just use for things like email when I need to on the go. I don't do anything real on them.

But they are making this mandatory for the X870E chipset which is a Desktop chipset....

For almost everything on this list I would prefer something else. For video out I'd insist on an actual video out connector (DP or HDMI). I don't understand why I would ever want to use USB for a display. USB should stay in its lane. When something tries to do everything, it is a compromise at everything. I'd rather have dedicated standards that are best in class.

I barely use external storage at all anymore, and haven't for years, except for the NAS with is over Ethernet.

Everything else you mention (except audio) is probably best done on an internal PCIe card (but you can't get the slots on a motherboard or buy expansion cards for many of these things because everything is going to dumb USB. It's kind of infuriating.

For Audio - however - you don't really need anything above USB2.

The way tech is going just makes me increasingly disappointed year after year.

I don't want some mobile consumer device bullshit with everything either on board or via USB.

I want a proper desktop with more PCIe slots than you can shake a stick at, and a large variety of PCIe cards to choose from to insert into those slots. Everything should be PCIe. Almost nothing except peripherals (Keyboard, Mouse) and audio should be USB.

...and anything more than just basic laptops should go die in a fire.

If I cant build it, maintain it, and upgrade it myself then it shouldn't exist. The transformation of absolutely everything in tech into disposable consumer devices with "no user serviceable parts inside" makes me some combination of enraged, disappointed and sad at the same time.

This industry needs to rewind the clock by about 20 years and have a do-over because what we have right now and the direction we are going in is just stupid.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

I'm not really into anything mobile. I tend to see mobile devices as low performance compromises I just use for things like email when I need to on the go. I don't do anything real on them.

But they are making this mandatory for the X870E chipset which is a Desktop chipset....

For almost everything on this list I would prefer something else. For video out I'd insist on an actual video out connector (DP or HDMI). I don't understand why I would ever want to use USB for a display. USB should stay in its lane. When something tries to do everything, it is a compromise at everything. I'd rather have dedicated standards that are best in class.

I barely use external storage at all anymore, and haven't for years, except for the NAS with is over Ethernet.

Everything else you mention (except audio) is probably best done on an internal PCIe card (but you can't get the slots on a motherboard or buy expansion cards for many of these things because everything is going to dumb USB. It's kind of infuriating.

For Audio - however - you don't really need anything above USB2.
So, this is mostly due to there being a cheap 'USB4' controller available, versus the previous relatively expensive (probably because old, thus higher power / larger node) Intel controller that was used to implement TB4 / USB4 on the 600-series and all Intel boards with it up until this point.

This report suggests that 40GBPS USB4 will be mandated, which is absolutely useless. I can't think of anyhting at all I would ever use that for...
I barely use external storage at all anymore
I transfer large files and large amounts of data to and from flash drives frequently enough. USB3 was a godsend for that. USB4 will be all the more appreciated. The USB4 spec was done long ago, it's about time motherboard chipsets start coming with that sh1t built in. I also have use-cases for portable SSDs. Should the USB standard not continue to advance just because you yourself see no need for faster speeds? Maybe we should all still be on USB 1.1 or 2.0 then.

Gawd, I used to remember what it was like transferring a ton of sh1t over USB 1.1 and 2.0. I hope to never see those days again. Still, using USB 1.1 to grab pics from a digital camera was waaaay faster than using the memory-card-to-floppy-drive adapter I had.

For almost everything on this list I would prefer something else. For video out I'd insist on an actual video out connector (DP or HDMI). I don't understand why I would ever want to use USB for a display. USB should stay in its lane.
Completely agree.

I want a proper desktop with more PCIe slots than you can shake a stick at, and a large variety of PCIe cards to choose from to insert into those slots.
Yupz, that's how I'd like things to be too.

...and anything more than just basic laptops should go die in a fire
Honestly to me, ALL laptops are crap just because we can't build them from scratch with our own choice of parts for each and every component, cuz they are not easily maintained or repaired, and cuz they can't be easily upgraded (if they can even be upgraded at all).

If I cant build it, maintain it, and upgrade it myself then it shouldn't exist. The transformation of absolutely everything in tech into disposable consumer devices with "no user serviceable parts inside" makes me some combination of enraged, disappointed and sad at the same time.
Same here.

Honestly to me, ALL laptops are crap just because we can't build them from scratch with our own choice of parts for each and every component, cuz they are not easily maintained or repaired, and cuz they can't be easily upgraded (if they can even be upgraded at all).
Check these guys out then https://frame.work/be/en/about

May still be work in progress but they seem to be on the right track, Linus from LTT is a small shareholder, that's where I heard of these guys.

Yupz, I know all about them. If I could afford their 16-incher I would have bought one already. Heard they were having some issues with those, but the smaller model has been around a long time, and does well, from what I hear.

Linus from LTT is a small shareholder, that's where I heard of these guys
Huh, didn't know that. That makes me less interested, but so far this company is the best laptop company I've seen in my life.
I either first heard about this company from my brother, or I first heard about it on [H]. Or maybe Phoronix.

Check these guys out then https://frame.work/be/en/about

May still be work in progress but they seem to be on the right track, Linus from LTT is a small shareholder, that's where I heard of these guys.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on them.

If I ever need to replace the trusty old Latitude E6540, Framework is one of the primary candidates.

One of the few things I don't like about them right now is that they use the same bad keyboard design as all other modern laptops.

I absolutely refuse to buy anything with one of those flat chiclet/island keyboards. That's the primary reason I am still clutching my decade old Dell Latitudes.

I transfer large files and large amounts of data to and from flash drives frequently enough. USB3 was a godsend for that. USB4 will be all the more appreciated. The USB4 spec was done long ago, it's about time motherboard chipsets start coming with that sh1t built in. I also have use-cases for portable SSDs. Should the USB standard not continue to advance just because you yourself see no need for faster speeds? Maybe we should all still be on USB 1.1 or 2.0 then.

I totally remember dealing with slow USB storage. Heck, even into the early USB3 era, most USB storage devices couldn't quite make it past 20MB/s

If that is part of your use case, it makes sense to want it to be faster.

Personally I haven't really used USB storage to do anything but install a new OS in a very very long time. Once I have the OS installed I'm pretty much doing all storage transactions to the NAS from there on out. (That's where the 40Gbit NIC comes in :p )

Once I have the OS installed I'm pretty much doing all storage transactions to the NAS from there on out. (That's where the 40Gbit NIC comes in :p )
That's all fine and good for your own network at home. But friends, family and I pass around a lot of stuff via flash drives, and doing that sh1t over the Internet isn't very fast or secure. If I need to hand someone a bunch of video files that range from 16GB to 30GB I'm doing it in person via flash drive. If someone is say giving me 60GB worth of data, flash drives are the best way to do it.

40Gbit NIC, good gawd!!!

That's all fine and good for your own network at home. But friends, family and I pass around a lot of stuff via flash drives, and doing that sh1t over the Internet isn't very fast or secure. If I need to hand someone a bunch of video files that range from 16GB to 30GB I'm doing it in person via flash drive. If someone is say giving me 60GB worth of data, flash drives are the best way to do it.

I can understand that.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy, or maybe it is because most of my old friends have moved halfway across the state (or even country) but I just don't see people in person all that often anymore. The closest of my good old friends is probably 2 hours away my car these days, and that's when there is no traffic (there is always traffic)

So if I want to send them a file - even a big one - it winds up being faster and easier to just create an ssh account for them (in the isolated SFTP container, restricted for only SFTP use) on the server, and have them SFTP it. Guiding them on how to use the GUI SFTP client (FileZilla for Linux, WinSCP for Windows or CyberDuck for Apple) is usually pretty easy.

And with the Gigabit upstream It's rarely an issue for my bandwidth.

Sure, transferring 60GB worth of data is not instantaneous, but lets say they have a 150Mbit connection (and a computer fast enough to max out the SFTP encryption on it, because my server can definitely handle it) they are going to have that 60GB in ~54 minutes.

In most cases that is faster than I can drag and drop it onto even fast external media, drive it to where they are, and hand it to them.

The actual file transfer time may be faster with fast external media, but the total door to door time typically winds up being faster just sharing it on my server.

I have it set up so it is really easy to just create them their own sftp only ssh account with a unique login and password, with permissions so they can only access one dedicated folder, which makes it pretty easy.

Part of it is also that I am terrible at planning these things, and always forget the flash drives.

A couple of years ago I digitized all of my parents old "Video8" camcorder tapes from the late 80's and early 90's. For a couple of years I kept forgetting to dump them on a USB stick and bring them to my folks house during Thanksgiving/Christmas/Someone's Birthday. I intended every time, but always forgot. On a couple of occasions I even dumped it on a large external drive, and then forgot it next to the door before leaving.

So this past Christmas I just SFTP'd all of it from my account on the server to my moms laptop. All 71GB of it. Neither my mom's laptop, nor her internet are particularly fast, but I started it before we sat down for dinner, and 2 hours later, before the evening was over it was all done, and I hooked her laptop up to their TV and we watched old family videos. It was pretty nice.

Who knows how long this would have gone on if I had kept forgetting the external drive :p

Last edited:
40Gbit NIC, good gawd!!!
Well, it is actually less impressive than one might expect.

It turns out, once you get up in network speeds - as opposed to what one would expect - the NIC itself is rarely the bottleneck.

I'm not entirely clear on what the actual bottleneck is, but it is not CPU, not storage, not PCIe, not memory...

I think maybe the software just isn't written with those kinds of speeds in mind, resulting in dead times, thread locks, wait states, etc.

I was able to fully max out 10gig before the upgrade to 40 gig, giving me ~1200MB/s ( I never got the full theoretical 1280MB/s, but I presume there is some NFS protocol overhead over Ethernet)

Once moving to 40Gbit, I did gain a little bit of a performance bump between the workstation and the server (the only two systems at 40gig) but I was never able to hit more than ~16Gbit between the two on a single connection, resulting in ~1800MB/s transfers.

Of course I knew to expect this going in. It's not like I didn't read up on it. The opportunity just presented itself with some cheap dual port 40Gig Intel NIC's showing up on eBay, and I was curious to test it, so I did.

Where above 10Gig NIC's (25 Gig, 40Gig, 100Gig, etc.) really shine is in aggregate traffic to many clients at the same time. The 40 Gig connection has allowed me to reduce the networking needs to just a single 40gig link to the switch for the server, supporting all the VM's it has on it, and all the clients connecting to it. it makes it a bit simpler, and also saves power. The dual port 40Gig XL710 with two QSFP+ fiber transducer in it uses considerably less power and produces considerably less heat than the two dual port Intel x520 SFP+ NIC's I used before.

I probably didn't need to do this, because 40Gbit is a lot of bandwidth, but because both NIC's were dual port, I just connected port 0 on both the server and workstation to the switch, and connected port 1 on both the server and workstation directly to each-other for a dedicated link on a separate subnet.

This means both the server and my workstation now have all other networking either disabled (if on board) or removed (if discrete) and just use the 40gig NIC's.

It felt like the right thing to do, to minimize them stepping on each-other, but in reality just connecting the one port on each to the switch would likely have been more than enough, and I am probably not seeing any difference there.

Become a Patron!
Back