AMD CEO Alludes to Death of CrossFire and Multi-GPU Trend

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD CEO Lisa Su spoke yesterday during the Hot Chips conference at Stanford University and was asked whether RTG would bring back CrossFire. Her remarks didn't instill any hope for enthusiasts who remain attached to AMD's fading multi-GPU solution, as she admitted it was no longer "a significant focus."

That's of little surprise to anyone following the latest Radeon products. While NVIDIA has kept SLI's spirit alive with NVLink, it sounds like AMD has abandoned multi-GPU completely, with no CrossFire successor on the table.

Su also hesitated when asked whether AMD would bring back CrossFire, AMD’s answer to the multi-GPU trends of a few years ago. “I would say that GPU performance will continue to go at a very fast pace,” she said. “It’s not a significant focus,” she added.

Sadly, this is unsurprising.

Yea really I hadn't commented on this already because I was underwhelmed. There is no news here. Single card/chip performance is where it is at ESPECIALLY with chiplet based designs. Think about it... all they need to do is cram more chiplets on a card and that just about guarantees more performance. Especially with 7nm designs.

It was a novel idea... And always kinda cool to go to LAN parties and see someone with two GPU's. But knowing most of the time the second one was idle made me chuckle.

Yea really I hadn't commented on this already because I was underwhelmed. There is no news here. Single card/chip performance is where it is at ESPECIALLY with chiplet based designs. Think about it... all they need to do is cram more chiplets on a card and that just about guarantees more performance. Especially with 7nm designs.

That depends on how well the architecture scales, but more or less. I used multi-GPU successfully for most of SLI's existence. Up through Maxwell Titans it worked very well. Its when I went to my GTX 1080 Ti's that the performance gained ended up being virtually non-existent. There was really only one or two titles that I played that ever saw any improvement with SLI.

I would like to have seen 5700xt's in crossfire.
I miss my 7950's, my gtx 670's.

Though, if you run three or more monitors, don't you have to go sli route? Or will a single Nvidia card handle it on its own now?

I haven't paid attention. I run two monitors off the 1070ti I have. I wouldn't mind adding another monitor to that box

You can run three monitors off of some NVIDIA cards. I don't know about all of them, but some will do it. My GIGABYTE RTX 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 11G can do it.

By now I'd think NVIDIA has caught up on that since AMD has been able to do it for ten years or more.

I wonder if we will ever see developers really get into the DX12 and Vulkan explicit multi-GPU shiznit. I'm not sure most are willing to put in the development effort and time. Especially not in this current age where consoles are the main development focus. I wonder if anyone out there actually runs Ashes of the Singularity with both a GeForce and Radeon together. I recall when you put a Fury X and 980 Ti together, the game performed better when the Fury X was the lead card (at least when Anandtech tested it out). Fun experiments, but so far nothing substantial with multi-GPU on the low-level APIs. Would be cool if that changed, but not holding my breath.

That depends on how well the architecture scales, but more or less. I used multi-GPU successfully for most of SLI's existence. Up through Maxwell Titans it worked very well. Its when I went to my GTX 1080 Ti's that the performance gained ended up being virtually non-existent. There was really only one or two titles that I played that ever saw any improvement with SLI.

I was right there also but with 2x1080's at the end of it. I seriously contemplated getting a 2nd 1080TI for the other rig but between the cost increases from the mining stupidity and seeing what happened with the 1080's there was really only one path. Ended up spending about the same as 2 1080TI's for my 2080TI but sure runs a lot smoother.

You can run three monitors off of some NVIDIA cards. I don't know about all of them, but some will do it. My GIGABYTE RTX 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 11G can do it.

I am running 4 off of my GTX 1080, which is what almost every Nvidia GPU xx60 and above will do. I think you could technically run even more with displayport daisychaining, but I'm not sure on that.

Nvidia used to have a really handy link on their site that showed how many monitors different GPUs supported, but I can't seem to find it.

My only multi-GPU experience was with the GTX295. When it works, the performance boost was amazing.
Unfortunately, it was a hassle to get it to work in some games while others wont work at all.

I just wished it wasn't game dependent. I'd still be running multi-GPU today if it works everywhere.

Become a Patron!
Back