AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su Reaffirms Her Committment to Bringing “Big Navi” to Radeon Fans in 2020

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD has released a special CES 2020-themed episode of its show, "The Bring Up." Co-hosts Cavin Weber and Bridget Green had the privilege of interviewing the big dog herself, company CEO Dr. Lisa Su, who talked a little bit about AMD's most recent announcements (e.g., Radeon RX 5600 XT, Ryzen Threadripper 3990X, Ryzen 4000 "Renoir" APUs). She also had some very interesting news for red team members desiring a higher-performing GPU.

When pressed for secrets in a later portion of the show, Su reignited the hopes of Radeon fans everywhere by confirming that "Big Navi" would indeed be launching this year. Naturally, she didn't have much to say about it, but this is the second time that Su has gone on record about a high-end Navi product debuting in 2020.

"My main message to our fans is that this is just beginning for us in 2020. I’ve heard a little bit through Twitter and Reddit that people are wondering about 'Big Navi.' I can say you're gonna see 'Big Navi' in 2020. There might be a few people wondering about Zen 3 as well, and I can tell you that Zen 3 is doing really well; we are excited about it. I look forward to talking more about that later in 2020."

Dr. Lisa Su provided similar comments during her round table with tech journalists at CES 2020. PC World's Gordon Ung asked Su whether she thought AMD needed a high-end competitor in the discrete graphics market, and her answer was positive.

"I know those on Reddit want a high end Navi! You should expect that we will have a high-end Navi, and that it is important to have it. The discrete graphics market, especially at the high end, is very important to us. So you should expect that we will have a high-end Navi, although I don’t usually comment on unannounced products."

It's worth repeating that Zen 3 is also expected to launch this year. Coupled with "Big Navi," 2020 is shaping up to be another very interesting year for AMD fans.

Zen 3 could be my next upgrade from a 2700x. Crossing fingers that Big Navi isn't a joke, Nvidia needs some competition.

Become a Patron!
Back