AMD Completes 7 Nm+ Zen 3 for Potential 2020 Release, Zen 4 on Track for 2021

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD's new 2nd generation EPYC processors weren't the only thing to get excited about at this week's launch event. The company also confirmed that it has completed the design phase for Zen 3, which improves upon its predecessor with a refined 7 nm+ process.

And that's not all: AMD also teased that work into Zen 4 is well underway. According to TechPowerUp, enthusiasts may be getting their hands on the first Zen 3 products sometime next year, while Zen 4 could debut in 2021.

The "Zen 3" microarchitecture is designed for the next big process technology change within 7 nm, EUV (extreme ultraviolet), which allows significant increases in transistor densities, and could facilitate big improvements in energy-efficiency that could be leveraged to increase clock-speeds and performance. It could also feature new ISA instruction-sets.

Honestly I think it's about time. With PCIE 5 and uber clocks and zooper clicks.

No but seriously I think a socket update at this point is more than reasonable.

AFAIK the only thing we know about Zen 3 is 'Continuous Performance-Per-Watt Gains'. Pretty vague. Hopefully it's more interesting than that.

AFAIK the only thing we know about Zen 3 is 'Continuous Performance-Per-Watt Gains'. Pretty vague. Hopefully it's more interesting than that.
I don't know .. but that sounds pretty interesting to me .. :)

Well they are calling it Zen 3 and not Zen 2+, so it should be a bigger jump than Zen to Zen+. Also this will be the last AM4 compatible chip, Zen 4 should be AM5 or whatever they wanna call the next one.

I don't know .. but that sounds pretty interesting to me .. :)
Well it is :), just saying I can't find anything talking about IPC, sockets, memory speeds, core counts, pci-e versions etc. It's supposedly taped out so you'd think this information would be available somewhere.

Well it is :), just saying I can't find anything talking about IPC, sockets, memory speeds, core counts, pci-e versions etc. It's supposedly taped out so you'd think this information would be available somewhere.

Honestly they don't want to leak that and take away from the current generation. Let this just released generation get 1-2 quarters into the market then they will talk about the next generation coming soon! :)

That was the best presentation I've seen from AMD, some real heavy weights getting behind AMD. Will be a very interesting next couple of years.

Become a Patron!
Back