AMD Confirms That It’ll Be Sharing More about Ray Tracing and Its DLSS Alternative before the Radeon RX 6000 Series Is Released

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-top-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD unveiled its highly anticipated Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics cards during its RDNA 2 showcase on October 28, but while the event blew the minds of both Radeon and GeForce fans with its surprising performance gains, big questions still remain.

Two of the biggest relate to NVIDIA’s premier technologies, ray tracing and DLSS. Does the Radeon RX 6000 Series hold a candle to the GeForce RTX 30 Series when it comes to ray-traced graphics? And does red team really have an upscaling solution that can compete with NVIDIA’s Deep Learning Super Sampling?

According to a tweet by AMD’s Frank Azor (Chief Architect of Gaming...

Continue reading...

I hope they put it in a comparison tool format, ya know, unless they actually put cards out there for people to test

"What we do know is that red team’s DLSS alternative is being developed in cooperation with Microsoft and can be applied to any game, which gives it a big advantage over NVIDIA’s offering."

Working with every game ? YES plz!

Those AMD card are looking better with each passing days!

"What we do know is that red team’s DLSS alternative is being developed in cooperation with Microsoft and can be applied to any game, which gives it a big advantage over NVIDIA’s offering."

Working with every game ? YES plz!

Those AMD card are looking better with each passing days!

So far, all it means is that it "can be applied to any game", not that it actually works well.

And it needs to be compared to DLSS of course. If it doesnt work as well, it will just be another AMD "we can do it too, just not as well" thing.

But who knows, maybe DLSS is just over complicated and AMD can spring something that looks better than native 4k and works with every game ever made.

I’m still not convinced AMD needs to compete against DLSS, or that DLSS is all that cracked up.

There is a difference between having to dig for support in games vs ticking a box in some setting.

I’m still not convinced AMD needs to compete against DLSS, or that DLSS is all that cracked up.
I agree, I don't get the excitement , all it does is recover the quality lost from having to degrade the image to apply ray to have it at acceptable fps. Yes ok.
Its possible AMDs ray tracing will in fact have settings that sacrifices other image quality aspects in order to speed up ray tracing, sacrifices which are then corrected via a different method we don't know about. Being able to be something easily applicable and hence wide spread its a big deal.

Assuming its DirectML, I recall it requires dedicated game support. But since its backed by MS I assume at least most SeriesX will support it.

AFAIK its card agnostic too, I recall this was first demoed on a GTX1080Ti.

"So far, all it means is that it "can be applied to any game", not that it actually works well.

And it needs to be compared to DLSS of course. If it doesnt work as well, it will just be another AMD "we can do it too, just not as well" thing."

Now, when I'd stated pretty much the same thing here, I was attacked and discriminated upon as a NVIDIA's shill / fanboy, so, this explains a lot.

Now, I'm sure someone will find a clever narcissist rebuttal to this comment but it changes nothing, though.

all it does is recover the quality lost from having to degrade the image to apply ray to have it at acceptable fps
That's one incentive to use it, but far from the only application. Think everything from making VR smooth with AAA titles on one end to making the same titles smooth at 1080p120, in an ultrabook, on the other.

It's an aggressive take on not rendering stuff that doesn't need to be rendered that has significant benefits for both performance and efficiency.

Now, when I'd stated pretty much the same thing here, I was attacked and discriminated upon as a NVIDIA's shill / fanboy, so, this explains a lot.

I'd recommend not acknowledging that mess. It should be abundantly clear that AMD has been playing a perpetual game of catchup in the graphics market since they jumped in, and that they've been playing catchup with respect to software even more than they have in hardware. At least they occasionally catch up in hardware performance!

And I'll add another reason that I just ran into face first today: apparently AMD doesn't support Windows Server across their lineup. Not only is their productivity software compatibility pretty hit or miss, and that's with their 'Pro' drivers, but also entirely new to me their RX lineup isn't supported at all on Windows Server. Like, I'm running the Microsoft generic driver. That's the only thing that will install.

Note that I took out an Nvidia GPU in the swap. The CPU doesn't have onboard graphics, so it needs a card; the AMD GPU is actually faster IIRC, but as it was causing problems for my wife's desktop, I swapped them out. Now I'm kind of regretting it.

"So far, all it means is that it "can be applied to any game", not that it actually works well.

And it needs to be compared to DLSS of course. If it doesnt work as well, it will just be another AMD "we can do it too, just not as well" thing."

Now, I'm sure someone will find a clever narcissist rebuttal to this comment but it changes nothing, though.

I agree it does need to be compared to Nvidia dlss implementation. Including the breadth and scope of its implementation as well.

Let's say DLSS works in 30 titles. And this works in... everything tat uses dx 11 or 12... but dlss in its titles is good for a 20% improvement in those titles... yet this is a lets say 8% improvement in all of the titles it works in... which is the better tool? I would argue its dependent on the games you play but for lifespan of a technology it would be debatable that AMDs solution is better.

Full disclosure im running on a rtx2080 today.. my last two cards a 1070 and 970 were also Nvidia cards. They've had the better product. Now it's time for AMD hopefully.

willing to bet that we see this take off. Something that can be easily applied to everything, that works with all current gen hardware, makes more sense. AMD hardware in both new consoles is really going to push it.

I agree it does need to be compared to Nvidia dlss implementation. Including the breadth and scope of its implementation as well.

Let's say DLSS works in 30 titles. And this works in... everything tat uses dx 11 or 12... but dlss in its titles is good for a 20% improvement in those titles... yet this is a lets say 8% improvement in all of the titles it works in... which is the better tool? I would argue its dependent on the games you play but for lifespan of a technology it would be debatable that AMDs solution is better.

Full disclosure im running on a rtx2080 today.. my last two cards a 1070 and 970 were also Nvidia cards. They've had the better product. Now it's time for AMD hopefully.
There's been talk that AMD's solution will work with other GPU's than theirs as well. If that's the case it would not be an advantage.

Also, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that if DLSS gets implemented on most upcoming AAA titles and is noticeably better than whatever AMD puts out it will sell better.

Hopefully we wont see a VHS vs. Beta situation here where the higher quality product lost out.
I don't want to be left with a easier and cheaper solution that gives me less. There's enough of that **** in life already.

I have a feeling this will be a "coming soon" feature. Had it been ready it would have already been shown.

Much like DLSS was when it was announced.

If that's your criteria, then AMD is already there with Fidelity FX RIS... it works in all games and gives a better IQ result than DLSS 1.0 but not as good as DLSS 2.0 IQ (depending on the scene, sometimes better, but more often worse). It's also open source and can run on any GPU... so if this is the argument then AMD already wins.. anything else they come out with puts them that much further ahead (if not just for giving you more options). Anyways, since DLSS 2.0 is only in a handful of games at best, I really don't put much thought into it... as mentioned, I can turn on RIS in EVERY game or I may eventually buy a game with DLSS 2.0 that would work... it's really a non-issue for me at the moment. Others care more than me about new technology and have different tastes in games, so while it makes sense for some of us, not everyone will share the same opinion and that's ok, they can pay for the features now, so I can use them later when they're more useful ;).

If that's your criteria, then AMD is already there with Fidelity FX RIS... it works in all games and gives a better IQ result than DLSS 1.0 but not as good as DLSS 2.0 IQ (depending on the scene, sometimes better, but more often worse). It's also open source and can run on any GPU... so if this is the argument then AMD already wins.. anything else they come out with puts them that much further ahead (if not just for giving you more options). Anyways, since DLSS 2.0 is only in a handful of games at best, I really don't put much thought into it... as mentioned, I can turn on RIS in EVERY game or I may eventually buy a game with DLSS 2.0 that would work... it's really a non-issue for me at the moment. Others care more than me about new technology and have different tastes in games, so while it makes sense for some of us, not everyone will share the same opinion and that's ok, they can pay for the features now, so I can use them later when they're more useful ;).

Yea I already did pay for them with my RTX 2080. I put it on my Motherboard with a i7 7700k and 32 gig of ram and sell it for 500 bucks all together or something so someone can throw an NVME drive and power supply and game away. :)

Become a Patron!
Back