AMD Continues to Lose Graphics Card Market Share to NVIDIA

Its a complicated time indeed.

I don't really understand why AMD is loosing share. They came out with really good cards this gen. I'm still going nv if I can ever get one. That might be the sentiment among consumets

Just saw my first in stock 3080ti, and a 3090. 1899 for a zotac 3080ti and 2399 for a MSI.

makes prices basically at parity with AMD

Its a complicated time indeed.

I don't really understand why AMD is loosing share. They came out with really good cards this gen. I'm still going nv if I can ever get one. That might be the sentiment among consumets
The 6000 series, and Navi in general, are good cards. I agree. I'd have taken one if I could find a reasonably priced one in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the only opportunity I had was for a 6700 at the same price as a 6900 at MSRP, and that isn't a great buy.

I just don't think AMD is making nearly as many GPUs as nVidia is.

The fact that you can find stock at Microcenter, but only at extremely high prices - I don't think that points to "plenty of availability". I think that fact that the local price is so high points to the fact that they are still selling even at that price. I totally agree, for gaming, they make no sense, at that price. But if they weren't selling you'd see the price drift down until they do.

That said, Steam Hardware survey, my own anecdotal observations about both GPU availability and AMD's operating practicies, and those of many around here all point to the same thing - there aren't nearly as many AMD cards out there this generation relative to nVidia.

If AMD didn't have to dedicate so much of their fab contract capacity towards PS5 and Xbox parts they'd likely have just as many GPU's on the market at Nvidia. M$ and Sony put huge amounts of pressure on AMD to make those parts to get consoles out the door. This is my opinion on what most likely effected AMD's ability to produce GPU's.

If AMD didn't have to dedicate so much of their fab contract capacity towards PS5 and Xbox parts they'd likely have just as many GPU's on the market at Nvidia. M$ and Sony put huge amounts of pressure on AMD to make those parts to get consoles out the door. This is my opinion on what most likely effected AMD's ability to produce GPU's.

Shame that MS had to ship 2 different x-boxes the series S seems to be "abundant" while the Series X is MIA, I wonder what availability would be if they only had one SKU.

I stopped by the local Microcenter earlier today - AMD shelves full, no one buying. Probably two dozen cards available. They did have a few 1050Tis and GT710s in stock.

They also didn't have pricing listed on any of them except a water-cooled 6900XT - all of US$2599!

I stopped by the local Microcenter earlier today - AMD shelves full, no one buying. Probably two dozen cards available. They did have a few 1050Tis and GT710s in stock.

They also didn't have pricing listed on any of them except a water-cooled 6900XT - all of US$2599!

You have to be retarded to pay $2,599 for a Radeon 6900XT of any kind.

I'm assuming that this is why it was still on the shelf - and extending the thought on down the line. There were even 6600XTs in stock. I should have asked about pricing, just didn't want to waste anyone's time, but I expect that those weren't priced anywhere near MSRP either.

I’ve been watching the stock at my local microcenter the 6700s seem to be selling fairly well at 850 and under. The hellhound, MECH, and red Devil models come into stock, last a week or two and sell out, based on which ever is cheapest.

In other words, people are buying, but not scalpers because there is no room for markup, and not miners because RoI is too long. The only cards that seem to always be on stock are the >2000 6900s

Yep. I'd buy one at a competitive price, but so would others, and then the shelves would not be full.

I mean, I'd prefer a 3090 or a 3080ti, but if I could find a 6900xt at a price that reflects the performance it provides, I'd buy it.

It may not be the top end card on the market, but it is sufficient to be a significant upgrade over my aging Pascal Titan X.

If AMD didn't have to dedicate so much of their fab contract capacity towards PS5 and Xbox parts they'd likely have just as many GPU's on the market at Nvidia.
AMD has waaaay too many 7nm products. I don't know if Zen 2 CPUs are still being made for PC outside of APUs like Cezanne, but Zen 2 is being made for PS5 and 9th-gen Xboxes. Then there's RDNA2 for both PC GPUs and 9th-gen console GPUs. Then there's Zen 3. AMD's piece of the 7nm TSMC pie isn't large enough for all this. If only @sswipe companies like Apple weren't there to steal precious TSMC fab space.

If only @sswipe companies like Apple weren't there to steal precious TSMC fab space.
Apple has long since shifted over to 5nm, and will be dropping even that fairly soon.

That said, AMD has about 25% of the 7nm production now.

This is an interesting read

Part of my annoyance with this whole GPU situation is this.

OK, so Newegg has some availability in their Shuffle program. The 3090's are just crazy ranging from $2500 to over $3000. I'm just not going to do that.

There are a handful of 3080ti's which are an option. Still stiff pricing at ~$1900, but by comparison, reasonable.

The two options are:
a Gigabyte Aorus 3080ti (with a forced bundle of an x570 motherboard I have no need for for $1899.98; OR
an Zotac AMP Holo version with no bundle for $1899.99.

(Didn't Zotac used to be a budget brand that only sold low end 630's and such?)

Either way, if you want to water cool one of these, how do you know if they are a reference design? Is a reference design even a thing anymore with the FE cards having their new crazy designs?

In the past you could find a watrer block you liked, and buy the specific video card it would fit. Now in this "you overpay and get what you get" GPU market, how the hell do you make sure you can get one that can be watercooled?

It's all very frustrating.

Part of my annoyance with this whole GPU situation is this.

OK, so Newegg has some availability in their Shuffle program. The 3090's are just crazy ranging from $2500 to over $3000. I'm just not going to do that.

There are a handful of 3080ti's which are an option. Still stiff pricing at ~$1900, but by comparison, reasonable.

The two options are:
a Gigabyte Aorus 3080ti (with a forced bundle of an x570 motherboard I have no need for for $1899.98; OR
an Zotac AMP Holo version with no bundle for $1899.99.

(Didn't Zotac used to be a budget brand that only sold low end 630's and such?)

Either way, if you want to water cool one of these, how do you know if they are a reference design? Is a reference design even a thing anymore with the FE cards having their new crazy designs?

In the past you could find a watrer block you liked, and buy the specific video card it would fit. Now in this "you overpay and get what you get" GPU market, how the hell do you make sure you can get one that can be watercooled?

It's all very frustrating.
Zotac has been one of the top performing brands for quite some time now, though from what I hear their quality still needs some work.

Also, for that AORUS card:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-xtreme-rtx-3080-3090-d-rgb-nickel-plexi
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-xtreme-rtx-3080-3090-d-rgb-nickel-acetal

I almost skipped work this morning to get the one EVGA FTW at microcenter for 1899. Much like Z, I want to watercool my card, and I also want to use a high quality block (optimus in my case), so just any card doesn’t work for me.

at the same time, we are a year into this generation and it seems like a waste of money to buy in now when the 4k series will likely crush the 3k series.

I almost skipped work this morning to get the one EVGA FTW at microcenter for 1899. Much like Z, I want to watercool my card, and I also want to use a high quality block (optimus in my case), so just any card doesn’t work for me.

at the same time, we are a year into this generation and it seems like a waste of money to buy in now when the 4k series will likely crush the 3k series.

Yeah, I am having similar thoughts, which in the end is why I didn't pull the trigger on on the Newegg shuffle.

Lately normal GPU generations have been about 2 years long. By that measure we are half way through this one.

In the past I have always been of th eopinion that if I am going to spend big bucks for a top end GPU, I want it early on in the lifecycle, as you can spread that cost over a longer time persion before it becomes irrelevant.

Based on that it seems insane to spend 2x MSRP a year into the lifecycle, especially when the rumor mill has it that the next gen is "expected to launch sooner than expected" :p

That said, every indication is that when it does, it will be just as difficult - or maybe even more so - to get your hands on one.

I don't even know what to do anymore, other than maybe starting to burn down mining farms in some form of vigilante justice.

Become a Patron!
Back