AMD Could Acquire FPGA Chip Maker Xilinx in Deal Worth $30 Billion

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
amd-epyc-chip-blue-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD’s prowess for making processors is formidable. On the consumer front, Ryzen CPUs have been growing among gamers for some time now. This achievement was even recently documented in the latest Steam Hardware Survey. On the console side, it has custom chips in two out of three brands. As huge as these markets are, it has an extremely impressive footprint in the data center segment as well. Its EPYC processors are so widely used that you can often find them paired with products from rival GPU company NVIDIA all over the world.

Now it appears AMD may be looking to expand its reach even further. The Wall Street Journal has reported it is trying to acquire FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Arrays) chipmaker Xilinx in a deal worth $30 billion. This deal is supposedly in the advanced...

Continue reading...

30 billion uh?
This company is that big? Ok cool.
If anyone knows how these two jive will be lisa su.
I can imagine these fpgas filling in where amds general computing chips fall short, something like that?

30 billion uh?
This company is that big? Ok cool.
If anyone knows how these two jive will be lisa su.
I can imagine these fpgas filling in where amds general computing chips fall short, something like that?
Same reason Intel bought Altera and Omnitek.

I'm shocked that AMD would actually have 30 billion to spend on something. Just a few years ago, AMD was best known as that tech company that managed to operate at a loss year after year and somehow remain operational.

I'm shocked that AMD would actually have 30 billion to spend on something. Just a few years ago, AMD was best known as that tech company that managed to operate at a loss year after year and somehow remain operational.
The power of publicly traded stock

Become a Patron!
Back