AMD Launches 4700S Desktop Kit with Repurposed Xbox Series X APU

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-4700s-desktop-kit-hexagon-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD has launched the 4700S, a desktop kit that includes nearly everything that an impatient enthusiast needs to quickly get a custom (but modestly powered) system up and running. What’s interesting about the 4700S is that the kit reportedly leverages the very same 8-core “Zen 2” APU that’s used in Microsoft’s next-gen Xbox Series X consoles, but with the iGPU disabled due to defects. AMD’s 4700S lacks an M.2 SSD slot but supports a variety of weaker graphics cards such as the AMD Radeon RX 590 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.... but no m.2 slot is puzzling. Even the lowly low a320 motherboards have that (or at least the asrock one I pulled up did)

Interesting.... but no m.2 slot is puzzling. Even the lowly low a320 motherboards have that (or at least the asrock one I pulled up did)
My guess is that the Microsoft-specific APU has ... something slightly different in it's controller. Would account for "DirectStorage" and the fact that the XB1sXwtfbbq uses a proprietary connector.

I don't see SATA on it either, so how do you add storage to this? USB only? That'd be lame.

Yeah, 2 sata ports, not much for expandability. I guess it depends on price.

turns out its actually the PS5 APU.

Apparently there are about 80 designs from OEMs, hopefully 1 of them supports M2 and PCIe x16 3.0

Become a Patron!
Back