AMD Launches New Ryzen 5000 and 4000 Series Desktop Processors, Adds Ryzen 5000 Series Support to 300 Series Motherboards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD has officially announced what nobody saw coming (/s), a handful of new Ryzen 5000 and 4000 Series processors for enthusiasts who can't bear to wait a couple of months for Zen 4 and red team's next-generation AM5 platform.

Go to post

Uhhh.... that's kinda tone deaf.

The new CPU's are going to require an healthier investment from a consumer stand point than swapping in to a new AM4 socket CPU for the best performance you can afford going forward.

It's not like motherboards are 8 bucks anymore. You're probably looking at a cost of entry for the new CPU's as... I'm betting 500 for the CPU, 200 for the motherboard. And at least another 200 for the ram. IF everything else stays the same... but really you'll probably want PCIE 5 (that's the newest one right?) storage so that's another 250-500 depending on capacity you go with.

So I can either extend the life of my AM4 system and spend... 100-450 depending on my CPU needs... OR....

1200 bucks minimum to build out a refreshed system on the new socket. PRESUMING you're cooling solution either comes with or transitions over.

Uhhh.... that's kinda tone deaf.

The new CPU's are going to require an healthier investment from a consumer stand point than swapping in to a new AM4 socket CPU for the best performance you can afford going forward.
I dunno - I don't get how it's tone deaf. If I were doing an entire new build, perhaps. Jumping to Zen4 is going to require new socket, new RAM, etc... a big investment. I don't know that I'd make that same investment in a AM4 / DDR4 setup right now.

But... there's an awful lot of folks rocking existing AM4 rigs. This, new Zen3 stuff will drop into many existing AM4 boards. Anyone back on Zen2 or earlier, these are still going to be a huge upgrade, and not require a full system swapout.

Will it beat out a Zen4 that comes out in 6-9 months? Probably not. Will Zen4 have availability issues at the onset like Zen3 had (remember, it took months to find them in stock, especially desirable SKUs, and it wasn't until recently that we actually saw prices start to come down)

These new CPUs may be a bit late to the game (would have been nice to have them 3-4 months ago, around the time or before Alder Lake came about. But I don't think putting them out now is tone deaf. I think it's advertising a lot of what makes AMD more attractive to a lot of people - your investment goes further, and it provides an upgrade path for folks without having to jump into a full new build, especially when AMD is going through it's first socket transition in a long time.

This is mostly AMD just going back and filling in the product gaps in their lineup, their low end especially has been ignored (for good reason, they were selling everything they could make on the high end) -- now that they are caught up they can go back and get those gaps filled in, generate a bit of news, and see if they can't upsell any folks still rocking AM4 before they jump to the next socket.

The only disappointment I see here are no non-Pro Zen3 TRs...

I dunno - I don't get how it's tone deaf. If I were doing an entire new build, perhaps. Jumping to Zen4 is going to require new socket, new RAM, etc... a big investment. I don't know that I'd make that same investment in a AM4 / DDR4 setup right now.

But... there's an awful lot of folks rocking existing AM4 rigs. This, new Zen3 stuff will drop into many existing AM4 boards. Anyone back on Zen2 or earlier, these are still going to be a huge upgrade, and not require a full system swapout.

Will it beat out a Zen4 that comes out in 6-9 months? Probably not. Will Zen4 have availability issues at the onset like Zen3 had (remember, it took months to find them in stock, especially desirable SKUs, and it wasn't until recently that we actually saw prices start to come down)

These new CPUs may be a bit late to the game (would have been nice to have them 3-4 months ago, around the time or before Alder Lake came about. But I don't think putting them out now is tone deaf. I think it's advertising a lot of what makes AMD more attractive to a lot of people - your investment goes further, and it provides an upgrade path for folks without having to jump into a full new build, especially when AMD is going through it's first socket transition in a long time.

This is mostly AMD just going back and filling in the product gaps in their lineup, their low end especially has been ignored (for good reason, they were selling everything they could make on the high end) -- now that they are caught up they can go back and get those gaps filled in, generate a bit of news, and see if they can't upsell any folks still rocking AM4 before they jump to the next socket.

The only disappointment I see here are no non-Pro Zen3 TRs...
I meant Tsings comment, not AMDs action.

As someone that's still rocking an X370 board, this is pretty good news to me. I'm in need of a refresh, new cooler, PSU and drives. Maybe I'll drop a 5800X in while I'm at it.

As someone that's still rocking an X370 board, this is pretty good news to me. I'm in need of a refresh, new cooler, PSU and drives. Maybe I'll drop a 5800X in while I'm at it.
Yea I went from my 3900x with the msi x570 Pro-A motherboard (hot power caps) to a new case, powersupply, motherboard, storage, and CPU. (what is detailed below.) It was costly but I'm pretty sure this case and power supply will see me through at least the next two builds.

Become a Patron!
Back