AMD May Launch Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core CPU on September 30

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD's Ryzen 9 3950X desktop CPU could be landing at the tail end of this month. Swiss online retailer Digitec.ch has the 16-core, 32-thread monster listed for release on September 30 (although there is a disclaimer noting delivery this month is not guaranteed).

As indicated during AMD's Next Horizon Gaming Event, the 3950X will retail for $749. It features a max boost clock of 4.7 GHz and base clock of 3.5 GHz.

…a user claimed to have achieved a 5.4GHz overclock on all 16 cores at 1.77 volts, on what was presumably an engineering sample. At that speed, it posted an Cinebench R15 score of 5,501 in the multi-core test. That is higher than the score observed during an AMD-sanctioned event, in which an overclocked Ryzen 9 3950X posted a multi-core score of 5,434 in Cinebench R15.

So 4.4 Ghz Max Boost?

I still want one, fwiw.

Right in time for that fixed BIOS. Wouldn't want to launch the best CPU only to have it misfire.

That could just as easily be a "safe guess" considering AMD said it was coming in September.

All the rumors were pointing towards September 7th for some reason, and that obviously didn't happen.

I'm hoping we get core counts and clocks for the new Threadrippers on or before the 3950x launch, so I know whether or not to dive in or wait.

Yea I'm not seeing a big point to going threadripper right now for someone like me who is mostly a gamer with a bunch of crap running.

I have been on the HEDT wagon since the release of the Core i7 920 and look forward to seeing AMD's new offerings. If I can get together enough money this year, I will most likely go with AMD this time around.

Become a Patron!
Back