AMD Mid-Range Gaming PC Build Guide: Summer 2020

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction

Building a new Gaming PC is probably one of the most exciting aspects of PC Gaming for enthusiasts as well as one of the most daunting at the same time. With a veritable plethora of options in almost every category users can spend literal days looking at reviews, specifications, compatibility, and aesthetics before settling on a final build.  For some of us, that is heaven. For others, it is hell. Either way, it always seems like time is short (or we just lose track of it in the process).

So, today at The FPS Review, we are putting together an AMD based Mid-Range Gaming system as an idea of what is out there and what would make for a truly enjoyable gaming experience with time for you, the reader, to spare. So, welcome to our “Live” AMD Mid-Range Gaming PC Build Guide for a next-gen gaming PC build. This guide will be “Live” in that we will update it quarterly. What you see today you might not see in the Fall, or Winter, or Spring, or Summer! So, be sure to...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why no Inland NVMe alternative?

If you're going to be tweaking things in your system, then a 3600 does pretty much as good of a job as a 3600x - unless that changed with recent 3600x chips.

You can use the dollars you save from going 3600x->3600 to get the faster memory instead. ; )

For the 3600x system I'd go b450 with a smaller psu (500-550W) and get a bigger nvme drive or add a standard hdd. 500gb total storage is not much for home pc. Games like Destiny 2, Rainbow 6 Siege, Fortnite, Call of duty etc are up to 100GB each. The Western digital black (vs blue) is sometimes pretty inexpensive as well. That said I've had such good luck with samsung ssd's (including the 970 evo) I'd recommend them to anybody.

The 3600x has a much larger heatsink than the 3600, which I think many people don't realize. Personally I'd pay extra for the 3600x as it's both faster and has better cooling.

For the 3600x system I'd go b450 with a smaller psu (500-550W) and get a bigger nvme drive or add a standard hdd. 500gb total storage is not much for home pc. Games like Destiny 2, Rainbow 6 Siege, Fortnite, Call of duty etc are up to 100GB each. The Western digital black (vs blue) is sometimes pretty inexpensive as well. That said I've had such good luck with samsung ssd's (including the 970 evo) I'd recommend them to anybody.

The 3600x has a much larger heatsink than the 3600, which I think many people don't realize. Personally I'd pay extra for the 3600x as it's both faster and has better cooling.

Well, it isn't absolute thing. There are options there for you to see what you can build on that budget and where you want to put your money. So, if you pulled all of the suggestions for the lower end 3600X based system you could just spend the extra $10 and more up to the 1TB WD Blue for a total of $1015.84.

As for the B450, I run a B450 system as one of mine. I would not use a B450 chipset when the X570 can be had on this budget. If you were doing a budget build then sure B450, but at this price point the X570 makes a better choice.

Nice build for the money and as it has been pointed out the beauty of home building is that you can choose this brand or part over another for 'reasons.' I have run personally a 3900x high end workstation do it all build and a 3600 midrange machine and the 3600 is plenty for most people. I like the 8 core Ryzen CPUs but I think that for gaming first and daily use the 3600 is plenty now and if you really care about productivity you go all in on the 3900x or even the 3050x.

Become a Patron!
Back