AMD Radeon RX 5500 GPU Series Announcement

Not quite as exciting as a RX 5800 announcement, but it makes sense for AMD to target that sweet 1080p market. And loving the look of those reference designs with the single fan.

If they can put the pressure on nvidia with pricing these, it could be good competition. Hopefully this tier will have some more competitive perf per watt as well.

I'm confused:

You can see that AMD quotes some performance differences to expect at 1080p. However, all the comparisons are against the Radeon RX 480 Ellesmere and not the Radeon RX 580 Polaris.

Ok so the 580 already replaced the 480. And if I'm not mistaken, already gave almost this rough level of performance increase. So I don't know what their marketing is trying to say here.

Based on that, I roughly expect the 5500 to perform about like a 580 - maybe a touch faster, but unless there is some real serious overclocking that can occur, probably not 590 level.

So the 8G RX480 had an MSRP on launch of ... $250? and the 8G RX580 a MSRP on launch of $230? And there have been RX580 deals recently down well under $200... I picked one up at $175 this past spring.

The 5500 would have to come in at well under 570 ($180 MSRP at launch) and close to 560 (MSRP $130 at launch) price levels to really bring anything new to the table.

Maybe this is an OEM/Laptop only type launch... and they will be priced accordingly -- you could buy an AIB 5500, but at the price you'd probably be better off buying something else. The price isn't out yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

**edit**
It really just dawned on me - they are talking about 5500, so there's still 5600 to fill the gap there. WIth that revelation in mind, I fully expect this will slide in around the 560 - and there it makes a lot more sense. I still don't know why they are comparing it to a 480 rather than the 560, but hey.

Last edited:
If it pumps out frames as well as an RX480, then it'll be a killer budget competitive game system GPU once you do
interesting.png

why.png

Funny Things™ to it

Give me something in the RX 550/560 performance class at a lower TDP; ideally, passively cooled; and I'm buying. I just need video, and while the GT 710 is the usual suspect here, it would be nice to see card that is a) more competent and b) is better served by linux open source drivers. All the current RX 550 cards have a horrible noisy crap fan that sounds like a jet engine. AMD, let's do better...!

With the info that came out today, it could be a promising launch for this price/performance range. Seems like the 5500 could fall in the performance bracket just between the RX590 and the 1660 with power consumption similar to the 1660.

Become a Patron!
Back