AMD Radeon RX 5700 Series Overclocking

Not seeing much performance uptick on the new AIB cards based on other reviews, mostly gains in temperatures reductions and noise levels.

If you want something fun to mess around with, then these cards are absolute magic once you do a rather silly thing to them:
interesting.png

Namely, setting the IRQ interrupts to happen on a single, less-busy core using a program someone at Microsoft made in 2007
It will say "Registry value for affinity mask has unexpected type" when you select anything, but bear in mind it's from 2007 - it'll still do its job as long as you ran it as an administrator.
Just don't get too carried away with dicking around with it on other things, unless you're prepared for the consequences. : )

Now, as for why this has such a significant impact? Hell if I know, some sort of bureaurocratic delivery scheduling hellhole is anyone's best guess.
Bear in mind that some cores perform better than others for this task, and humourously enough - setting it to an SMT "core" on my 3600 actually yielded better results than on a real core.

Last edited:
Thanks Brent for the in depth process and review of these cards. Thanks also for using the newly mentioned junction point to measure temps. I've been very curious about this since first reading about it a couple of weeks ago.

Not overly impressed with the 5700 but I think the 5700XT is a decent value and seems to OC well. Thought those 4-8 fps gained were nice. That's often the difference needed to just 'smooth' out the experience. Just a little bit more out of the card might get closer to 10 fps gained.

Can't wait to see what AIB's you'll get a hold of. Hopefully a Strix or MSI as they often have great cooling and custom PCB's. Like any good GPU wanting to strut it's stuff it seems like your testing has shown these are mainly being held back by power and cooling. I'm curious if MSI will do a Radeon Trio version for the XT with the 3 power connectors option and a custom BIOS. I'm sure PCIe 4.0 might give a little more juice as well.

I have an MSI reference 5700 XT.
Put an EK waterblock on it.
Run VCore at 1.2V
Presently I have the GPU clock set at 2100 via Afterburner.
I did not mess with the memory speed.
Ive only played Metro Exodus and a little Youngblood. Settings on Exodus are Uber with HairWorks turned on.

The single card runs three screens with a resolution of 5760 x 1200 and the clocks hover right at 2000 to 2100 MHz.
GPU temp is 42-45 C.
FPS in Exodus are 50-65 depending on the scene.

This GPU rivals my GTX 1080 Ti performance for much less money comparing purchase prices.

Thanks for the overclocking review Brent, I really enjoyed reading it!
Overclocking really magnifies the weak cooling performance of these reference coolers.
Too bad the power limit and overclocking headroom on the 5700 are limited so low. I get the feeling the 5700 has more potential than allowed.
Keep up the great work!

Become a Patron!
Back