AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series “Aged Like Milk”: No New Drivers in Two Months

AMD's patented driver pasteurization, packaging and storage process should extend the shelf life of the drivers. And once they've been installed, it should be safe to continue using them unless they come in contact with a new game containing contaminants.
Should I keep them refrigerated?

So, Radeon RX 6600 XT with current December driver, is actually pretty terrible in Forspoken. I just benchmarked the card in Forspoken, for another upcoming GPU review, and the 6600 XT is 27% slower than the GeForce RTX 3060 in the game. Performance is pretty bad in a lot of areas. I'm getting sub-30's-35 fps at 1080p and the highest game settings (no RT). It definitely needs driver optimizations, cause the 6600 XT is not behind the 3060 in other games.

Last edited:
Updated drivers only matters when a game comes along that clearly needs optimizations on the gpu side. Nvidia or AMD, I only update if a new game really seems to need it. Darktide got me to update drivers after 2-3 months.

What is this strange dynamic of games needing drivers routinely. I get it to squeeze a few points for funsies, but wth. Have standards failed completely in windows? I mean that is self evident, so I guess the question is who can do something about this?. Its a pretty depressing picture of launch an incomplete game, wait for a multitude of game patches, then also wait for drivers patches for things to be more playable.

What is this strange dynamic of games needing drivers routinely. I get it to squeeze a few points for funsies, but wth. Have standards failed completely in windows? I mean that is self evident, so I guess the question is who can do something about this?. Its a pretty depressing picture of launch an incomplete game, wait for a multitude of game patches, then also wait for drivers patches for things to be more playable.

We need more programmers like John Carmack in the games industry, shame he left for other things, luckily id still makes solid running games even if Doom Eternal itself was pretty crap.

We need more programmers like John Carmack in the games industry, shame he left for other things, luckily id still makes solid running games even if Doom Eternal itself was pretty crap.
Doom Eternal may have been lacking as a game, but the idTech 7 engine is f*cking awesome. Yeah there's no Carmack anymore (would love to see him doing game engines again, and f*cking with ray-tracing and such), but id Software still has kick-@ss programmers like Tiago Sousa, Axel Gneiting, Billy Khan, Robert Duffy and others who have very clearly carried on the spirit of John Carmack when it comes to making highly-optimized, highly-performant game engines that still have insane graphics. idTech 6 was pretty sick and 7 takes things to a whole new level. But yeah, in general, programmers of John Carmack's caliber aren't really around anymore, and that is depressing. Too bad Carmack was too interested in VR sh1t and rockets (which he doesn't do anymore, too expensive and his wife been reigning him in on dat shiznit). Maybe since he left FB/Meta/whatever, he can get back to game engines. I wanna see what he can do with the hardware we got these days.

Here are some of the guys who carried on Carmack's legacy at id Sofware:
1.) https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-tech-interview
2.) https://www.dsogaming.com/interview...n-mega-textures-pbr-global-illumination-more/

Oh yeah, as far as updating graphics cards drivers, I only do it when I absolutely need to, such as to fix issues (bugs or compat problems), if there are significant gains in performance (which is rare), or I am throwing in a new graphics card.

Become a Patron!
Back