AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs to Feature TBPs As High As 355 Watts

That's interesting I wonder if they are going the route of.

Screw Ray Tracing We have raster performance so good that you can take away from it for RT and it won't even be a big deal. ;) Meanwhile Nvidia is going with cores specifically designed for RT.
I'd be ok with that. RT right now is nothing more than fairly weak window dressing ... at least until the hardware can get there.

I'm perfectly OK with nVidia subsidizing that for me. I'll take better rasterization until we get there.

actually that's pretty impressive considering it doesnt have dedicated rt hardware
Why do people keep saying this? Is there some sort of misunderstanding about how AMD is going to do raytracing? They do have dedicated hardware... it's just attached to a different part of the GPU than NVIDIA... it doesn't make it not dedicated, it just makes it a different design. That's like saying Lamgorghini doesn't have an engine because they put it in the back of the car... no, it's still an engine, it's placement is different!

"Essentially, AMD will be introducing what it calls a "fixed function ray intersection engine", which is specialized hardware that only handles BVH intersection"
https://www.techpowerup.com/256975/amd-patent-shines-raytraced-light-on-post-navi-plans

They have specialized hardware that's only function is to handle the ray intersections... how is that not dedicated? It's fixed function, meaning it can't be used for any other thing. Yes, they have tied it to their other processing units and it's not a standalone thing, but that doesn't mean it isn't a physical hardware implementation. Yes, it's different than NVIDIA and does share some resources rather than create another pool of data, so it's a bit more hybrid/integrated, but that doesn't make it not have rt hardware.

Become a Patron!
Back