AMD Radeon RX 6700 Series Mobile GPUs Rumored for Apple’s 16-Inch MacBook Pro

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-logo-red-circular-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Apple’s upcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro refresh could be getting a substantial bump in graphics performance courtesy of AMD’s RDNA 2 architecture. According to smartphone leaker TheGalox_ (via Notebookcheck), the lineup will be one of the first to boast AMD’s Radeon RX 6700 XT and Radeon RX 6700 mobile GPUs.

“Apple will be the first company to use AMD RX 6700 & 6700XT on their upcoming mac’s,” he tweeted. “Of course, the ARM 16...

Continue reading...

Gonna look forward to seeing these tested, especially since Apple seems to get more out of AMD parts than AMD can get themselves in Windows or Linux...

Oooh this makes me drool with anticipation. I wanna see what Apple can do with its CPUs and a decent GPU.

Be nice combo for a Apple Mini as well.

Kickass SFF photo editing. Just add a 32" 4K display.

I want this GPU with a 5800u in a 14" form factor.
That's... pushing it. Have an XPS 15, which is close to 14" form-factor but not quite, and there's definitely a limit. You're probably going to hit a thermal wall either way really though.

I still have a 14" with a 6700HQ (rated at 45W) and a GTX970M. Hopefully a Radeon 6700 mobile will fit with a 25W 5800u. I'd settle for a 5600u.

I still have a 14" with a 6700HQ (rated at 45W) and a GTX970M. Hopefully a Radeon 6700 mobile will fit with a 25W 5800u. I'd settle for a 5600u.
Honestly I just want an eight-core APU. Unfortunately AMDs software game has been pretty rough outside of pure gaming (and non-RT at that), so I steered quickly away, but, that's really what I'm looking for. Give me a great APU with the content-creation side figured at 14" and I'm on it. Oh, and 120Hz, VRR, and 100% SRGB.

AMDs bigger problem here isn't Apple or Nvidia though... it's Intel. Intel already has great support for their iGPUs in common software and they're getting better at gaming to the point that they may just beat AMD at their own 'game'.

And that may just come down to whether Intel or AMD can actually get their parts manufactured in the first place...

Wait, is the new Macbook pro still intel based or the new arm chip?

I was wondering why they would bother with a GPU for the new arm models....

Wait, is the new Macbook pro still intel based or the new arm chip?

I was wondering why they would bother with a GPU for the new arm models....

The latest 13” MBP is ARM with IGP, and was just released. The latest 16” MBP is now a year old and based on a 9th Gen Intel chip.

We are expecting a new 16” MBP early 2021.

Become a Patron!
Back