AMD Radeon Super Resolution to Offer Up to 70 Percent Higher Gaming Performance

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-super-resolution-logo-red-flare-bg-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD’s new Radeon Super Resolution upscaling technology will grant higher performance of up to 70 percent in select games.

This is according to a new teaser that AMD shared regarding its Software: Adrenalin Edition update coming in Q1 2022, which includes a portion demonstrating Warframe running in 4K (upscaled from 1440p) with Radeon Super Resolution enabled. It suggests an up to 1.7x performance increase in the popular co-op game from Digital Extremes.

“Radeon Super Resolution (RSR) is an in-driver upscaling feature that uses the same algorithm found in our AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) technology,” AMD explained on its official Radeon Super Resolution website. “Gamers can take advantage of Radeon Super Resolution to unleash new levels of performance on any compatible game.”

AMD unveiled Radeon Super Resolution during...

Continue reading...

I'm looking forward to trying this.

Should essentially be FSR but for any title.

Too bad they are being so vague about when they are planning on releasing it. Q1 2022 isn't over until end of March.

I'm kind of hoping it comes before then, as I could use it now.

I'm sure it will run great on my RX570 with 4GB of vram, maybe I'll try it out once you can actually buy one of their new GPU's near MSRP.

I'm sure it will run great on my RX570 with 4GB of vram, maybe I'll try it out once you can actually buy one of their new GPU's near MSRP.

It might. I mean, FSR works on any GPU, even Nvidia or Intel (though th edriver based version of course won't work on non AMD cards) so I see no reason why it wouldn't work on an older RX570, unless AMD decides to artificially limit it. Nvidia would definitely do something like that, but I don't see that from AMD. You never know though.

As I see it FSR is of most use when you have almost the framerate you want, and just need a tiny little bump to make it consistemntly over 60fps, or whatever your target is.

If you are looking to squeeze a little extra performance out of that RX570, it ought to work...

Yeah, I was looking for RSR in them too.

Over on the Hardforums user Ghostwich found some info buried in some footnotes suggesting that the RSR feature will be enabled in the 22.1.3 release:

1642104792722.png

Based on their numbering scheme that suggests an availability in January, though they could always delay and renumber things if it is running late I suppose.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back