AMD Radeon Users Are Losing Patience Over a Driver Bug That Causes Sudden Black Screens

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
radeon-rx-5700-xt-left-side.jpg
Image: AMD

Something that NVIDIA users like to brag about is having better (i.e., less buggy) drivers than their AMD brethren. They might actually have a point: there have been a lot of complaints lately on reddit and other social media regarding a “black screen” bug present in the current Adrenalin driver.

The glitch is extremely annoying because it can reportedly happen for no rhyme or reason. Users say that their monitors have gone black regardless of whether they were playing games, watching videos on YouTube, or running some other kind of GPU-heavy process.

Back in January, AMD did publish a blog post (“Continuing Our Focus on Delivering the Best Driver Possible for 2020”) that acknowledged numerous black screen issues. They are as...

Continue reading...

Driver bug huh? Black screens and complete system freeze sounds like hardware. For the people having this on the regular I wonder what is their power supply like.?

I run the ASRock reference 5700xt w/ an EVGA 850wtt 80+Gold psu and I have never experienced this black screen thing

Uvilla I wonder how right you are. Maybe Nvidia is just better a building for wonky power.

Like are the people having the issue running on a line conditioner?

I'm curious about the 5700xt I have. I haven't experienced black screen, but I have had some weird issues.
I have the one in the Asus Strix flavor. Big card, three fans, and that back plate gets hot. I put a fan on that side too. It's powered by a 1200 watt power supply.
I reinstalled the driver, chipset driver and then finally yanked it and stuffed a 1080ti in.

Just had instability while gaming. If it sat for a long time idling it was weird too. I think I will throw it in a Linux box

Over current protection and black screens were a thing on the 9600 gt from about 10-12 years ago.
I had one of these and I worked around it by under clocking the gpu and memory to standard levels on my factory overclocked card.
I bet this is hardware related.

Uvilla I wonder how right you are. Maybe Nvidia is just better a building for wonky power.

Of all the AMD cards I have owned I remember them being power hungry. I think Uvilla may be onto something also. I had a couple of AMD cards that just had weird issues that weren't psu related, so I moved on from them.

Driver bug huh? Black screens and complete system freeze sounds like hardware. For the people having this on the regular I wonder what is their power supply like.?
Brand new EVGA 1300 watt powering a single Asus Strix 5700xt, an NVME, SSD, 32 gig of ram, one non OC'd aneamic 1900x on an Asrock mobo, two 240mm and two 120mm fans, plus one pump.

Removed 5700xt, and it's stable in anything I do with the system now.
I am betting, the 5700xt will have a happy existance in a Linux box. We will find out this weekend.

Brand new EVGA 1300 watt powering a single Asus Strix 5700xt, an NVME, SSD, 32 gig of ram, one non OC'd aneamic 1900x on an Asrock mobo, two 240mm and two 120mm fans, plus one pump.

Removed 5700xt, and it's stable in anything I do with the system now.
I am betting, the 5700xt will have a happy existance in a Linux box. We will find out this weekend.
WOW that power supply is overkill. I'm running a 3900x, 32gb of ram, MSI mobo, and a RTX 2080 on a 620w power supply just fine.

Reactions: _k_
Lol, yes it is, but when EVGA had that sale a year or so back, it was too hard to resist. If I remember right it was under a $100 direct from EVGA.

I wish they would have that sale again

Lol, yes it is, but when EVGA had that sale a year or so back, it was too hard to resist. If I remember right it was under a $100 direct from EVGA.

I wish they would have that sale again

Hell if you see that let me know! I wish Corsair had sales like that on power supplies.

Become a Patron!
Back