AMD Ryzen 5 3600X CPU Review

Good god man please go back and FIX YOUR CHARTS. you keep labeling your i5's as i7's and it drove me batty!

Well, I was typing i7 allot. Cut and paste error. It's only for the i5 9600K. I'll see about fixing that.

Yea, the charts could use some work, they were almost painful to go through; as stated, showing i5 as i7 and the inconsistency of the order of the cpu's. It might also be a good idea, for ease of reading sake, to change the bar color of the actual product the review is covering. Not complaining, just giving suggestions.

That said. I KNEW Destiny 2 numbers were going to be way off. I swapped from a Xeon 2176G (essentially an 8700k) to my 3600x and D2 fps is very noticeably lower and inconsistent. That 2176G system I gave to my gf with a Vega 56, and it runs better than my 3600x on my Radeon VII @ 2030/1200. Since D2 is really the only game I play these days, it makes me consider going back to Intel; hopefully this will change with patches from either Bungie or some new AGESA that's coming up to fix PBO.

Thank you for the review Dan. I've been thinking about what to put together for my wife's next system. She's currently got an old 4670K (Not overclocked). I wonder if I could snag this 3600X at the semi-local Microcenter (a good hour+ drive). Hmmmm.....

Destiny 2 has kinda been a thorn in AMD's side since initial 3000's where launched :cry:

Destiny 2 has kinda been a thorn in AMD's side since initial 3000's where launched :cry:

It has. I almost want to drop it from testing as the results are erratic, but at the same time, I think it's important to note that there are some outliers (game wise) where AMD isn't necessarily the best choice. Destiny 2 is very popular right now, so that's why I'm continuing to include it. Similarly, there are some cases where Intel absolutely gets destroyed, and I feel its important to note that as well. I talked about this in an earlier review, but Destiny performance has lower lows and much higher maximums than Intel CPU's do here. As a result, averages look similar if not better than Intel CPU's, but the actual performance at both high and low resolution always favors Intel.

At 4K, there are times where AMD delivers a very sub-par experience regardless of the series. I've tested this with Ryzen 1000, 2000, and 3000 series CPU's. It was something I noticed playing the game on my Threadripper 2920X. In all the other cases I've explored, the Ryzen 3000 is absolutely fine for gaming at actual resolutions where the GPU is better leveraged. I'm running many AMD machines at home and only one Intel box, which is my main gaming rig.

Great review - thank you!

Your summary is spot on: either save the $50 and go with the 3600, or shell out the extra $70 and grab a 3700X.

I'm still favoring a 3700X for my overhaul in a few months.

no complaints about my 3700X other than not reaching advertised clock speeds. I don't even care any more. The CPU is a beast at everything I throw at it.

Become a Patron!
Back