AMD Ryzen 5 7600X3D Launched as a $299.99 Micro Center Exclusive

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Ryzen 5 7600X3D, the fourth "Zen 4" processor to leverage AMD's 3D V-Cache technology for improved gaming performance, will be available exclusively at Micro Center for $299.99, according to online reports.

See full article...

Such a weird thing to do an exclusive of as well. The price is a bit high for budget-friendly IMHO. I mean you can still do a lot with a good hex-core but 8c/16t seem to be the sweet spot these days for gaming and other uses, and the 7800X3D seems to be a really good processor. Not to mention the 9000 series X3D chips should be out some time in the next 3-6 months.

On the plus side for this CPU, it has a very low TDP that would allow air cooling to be easy and the cache size is huge for a processor at this tier level and it supports up to 128 GB DDR5-5200 and 24-lanes PCIe 5.0. It'll be interesting to see reviews for this thing.

My only thought is that they don't have enough supply to make it an official launch to everyone, so they just do it with MC to get rid of excess stock, maybe lower-binned dies they need to get rid of. But I wish they would launch it launch it. Oh well

My only thought is that they don't have enough supply to make it an official launch to everyone, so they just do it with MC to get rid of excess stock, maybe lower-binned dies they need to get rid of. But I wish they would launch it launch it. Oh well
Microcenter has a LOT of good will locally. They were largely the only game in town for parts for much of the covid lockdown. So they still have my good will because they haven't abused their position and continue to grow organically.

I mean hell go to ANY best buy... and compare to what Microcenter has in stock for TV's and more to the point tech stuff. IT's night and day. I don't know what magic Microcenter is wielding but it freaking works.

So yea.. giving them exclusives of limited run parts makes sense... and I'm sure MC pays a premium for them too. Something best buy and Amazon and Newegg probably arn't willing to do because they simply lack the market to move them or the trust to move them.

I really do hope Micro Center continues to spread. I used to have to drive 3 hours to go to one. Now there's one within 15 min of me. Ironically the one in my area is in the same location where a CompUSA used to be.

That was the same sentiment when they released the 5600X3D as a MC Exclusive.. Although we never got the "real" reason it went MC-Only, but your hypothesis is dead on from what I've heard.

I really do hope Micro Center continues to spread. I used to have to drive 3 hours to go to one. Now there's one within 15 min of me. Ironically the one in my area is in the same location where a CompUSA used to be.
I have to travel over an hour to get to my local MC and I do it, cause it's the only game in town WORTH going to. There's a Best Buy not 25 minutes from my place and I don't go there.

I have to travel over an hour to get to my local MC and I do it, cause it's the only game in town WORTH going to. There's a Best Buy not 25 minutes from my place and I don't go there.
RE BB: Mostly the same here except I occasionally get deals on SSDs. Otherwise it's pretty rare anymore that I go there for anything except to p/u online orders I don't want delivered to my door.

Nearest micro for me is over 6 hours away in Denver. Never been to that store but maybe some day.

RE BB: Mostly the same here except I occasionally get deals on SSDs. Otherwise it's pretty rare anymore that I go there for anything except to p/u online orders I don't want delivered to my door.

Nearest micro for me is over 6 hours away in Denver. Never been to that store but maybe some day.
Every couple years a few more microcenters open up. Hopefully one a lot closer to you soon!!! Hell they price match Amazon and Newegg with little fanfare.

On the plus side for this CPU, it has a very low TDP that would allow air cooling to be easy and the cache size is huge for a processor at this tier level and it supports up to 128 GB DDR5-5200 and 24-lanes PCIe 5.0. It'll be interesting to see reviews for this thing.
I would challenge the idea that you can't do a higher TDP processor on Air. I've got a 5800X3D on my ancient Noctua D15 and it hasn't been an issue. I know quite a few people in my distributed computing discord are using the Thermalright Peerless Assassin / Phantom Spirit on chips like the 7950.

I would challenge the idea that you can't do a higher TDP processor on Air. I've got a 5800X3D on my ancient Noctua D15 and it hasn't been an issue. I know quite a few people in my distributed computing discord are using the Thermalright Peerless Assassin / Phantom Spirit on chips like the 7950.
Oh absolutely! Yep if you've a got a good cooler the ceiling is much higher and a decent case setup that can breathe will help also. I just meant that something like this isn't going to take much to cool it.

Become a Patron!
Back