AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU Expected to Launch This Month

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-ryzen-gold-circle-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Should AMD users simply save their money for the shiny, Zen 4-based Ryzen 7000 Series, which is due out later this year, or give that trusty AM4 system another, final upgrade?

That’s a question that’s sure to come up more often in the coming weeks, as leaker Greymon55 has revealed that AMD has already begun shipping what is presumably one of the company’s final Ryzen 5000 Series processors, the Ryzen 7 5800X3D, indicating a potential end-of-March release. The X3D at the end of the model name refers to the chip’s fancy new 3D V-Cache Technology, which boosts the amount of L3 Cache to 96 MB (64 MB more than the Ryzen 7 5800X) to enable what AMD suggests should be even better gaming performance than the Ryzen 9 5900X.

58X3D has been shipped and will probably be on the market by the end of this month.— Greymon55 (@greymon55)...

Continue reading...

I want a 5900x3d. :( Hoping they do that but not holding my breath.

I don't think I will worry about this one. I wouldn't mind doing a 5900X eventually, but the 3D stuff hasn't sold me yet

I don't think I will worry about this one. I wouldn't mind doing a 5900X eventually, but the 3D stuff hasn't sold me yet
We'll just have to wait for the FPS review. :cool:

I suspect it'll be faster at gaming than a 5900X, but slower at heavily threaded workloads. So it'll depend on what you need.

I would have picked up a 5900X already, but the VRM on my mobo isn't optimal for it.

I would temper expectations. This fell off the hype train in a big way once Alder Lake became real, and you started seeing rumors of Zen4 pop up -- which are hallmarks that this isn't going to really compete favorably

I would temper expectations. This fell off the hype train in a big way once Alder Lake became real, and you started seeing rumors of Zen4 pop up -- which are hallmarks that this isn't going to really compete favorably
I disagree. Anyone on 2000/3000 series Ryzen this will be a sizeable upgrade. The current 5800X is faster than a 3900X under almost every workload. Even if the 5800X3D comes in a couple % shy of a 12900K that's a huge win for everyone on X570. And if it's $400 or less even better.

I worry tho that the 5800X3D will be a limited run and haven't the miners been talking about the large cache being of benefit?

I'm concerned that this will be a inflated price item when it becomes available.

disagree. Anyone on 2000/3000 series Ryzen this will be a sizeable upgrade.
Not saying it won’t be an upgrade for older architectures. Just saying don’t expect it to beat out Alder Lake by any margin, and the price it’s likely to command probably won’t make it really worth it over what a regular 5800X has been going for lately

Not saying it won’t be an upgrade for older architectures. Just saying don’t expect it to beat out Alder Lake by any margin, and the price it’s likely to command probably won’t make it really worth it over what a regular 5800X has been going for lately
Honestly if this pushes greater availability of the 5900x or even pushes the price down on it I'll be happy.

The 5800x is $299 at MC right now, still haven't bit on that yet. So if this comes in at 299 and/or drives price down on 5800x... cool. Just wonder if we will need yet another bios upgrade, or if the Vermeer compatible one is good enough for older boards.

I don't consider MC prices as the "average" since they are not accessible to most people. That being said most people will be able to buy a 5800X online for $335-350. Which is why I suggested the new 5800X3D might come in around $400. And if it's 15-20% faster than the regular 5800X that's not a bad deal.

The 5800x is $299 at MC right now, still haven't bit on that yet. So if this comes in at 299 and/or drives price down on 5800x... cool. Just wonder if we will need yet another bios upgrade, or if the Vermeer compatible one is good enough for older boards.
There will probably need to be an update. There are some MSI boards with new bios already up stating this CPU is supported. And a new agesa to boot...

Become a Patron!
Back