AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D Reportedly Spotted Hitting 5.2 GHz on All Cores and Could Launch as Early as November, According to the Latest Rumors

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
If any of the rumors for AMD's next gaming processor featuring 3D V-cache technology are true, then the AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D could end up being one of the most sought-after CPUs in 2024/2025. This latest pair of tidbits point to a potential release before the holidays and a turbo clock rate which could see it besting many of the most powerful gaming CPUs.

See full article...

This means that that 9950X3D will probably go even higher - following the pattern set by the 7950X3D - and that might be worth delidding.

Agreed plus fact in that the 9950X3D and 9900X3D (not 9800X3D) are both said to allow both chiplets access to the V-Cache and they each could be epyc (pun intended). However, I'm a bit more concerned about prices for those more than the 9800X3D but all three could be up there.

if the 9950X3D is basically just 2 9800X3Ds merged together, that would be a lot of cache available, as long as each process stays pinned to it's own chiplet.

At this point I'm ready (and impatient) to get the actual details.

At this point I'm ready (and impatient) to get the actual details.
I think we all are. It's been years since I've been this excited about a CPU launch from anyone, even though I have zero intent on buying one at launch.

Just dropping this here because I don't want to flood our news page with what is more of the same but it is the first official benchmark to be seen for the 9000X3D series and basically confirms a lot of the rumors. I'd expect something official from AMD very soon given how much is getting leaked now.

This is pretty much what we expect; incremental gains based on increased frequency headroom due to thermal / voltage tweaks AMD did for Zen 5 vs. Zen 4 which was (slightly, in reality) more thermally and with 3D V-Cache voltage limited.

The main reason to consider a 9800X3D over a 7800X3D would be for a new build to get the 'newer' part, on a build focused on gaming. If compute / intense productivity are on order* (and can't be better done on a Mac Mini / Macbook...)**, how well AMD gets the dual-X3D CCD parts optimized is the real exciting part.

(*cue my realization when building a buddy's 7800X3D system, which did but shouldn't have surprised me, that it was actually slower than my aging 12700K in raw compute...)

(**most visual editing, i.e. photos and video, are effortless on Arm Macs due to the integrated hardware acceleration with OS and apps - one could keep a Mac Mini in a dual setup just for this if they're not otherwise a Macbook user and consider themselves a 'power user' when it comes to these domains)

I really want the 9950X3D to have cache on both CCDs, and be able to clock competitively with the 9950X. As much as I love the 7800X3D and probably upcoming 9800X3D for gaming, I do a lot more than just gaming, as most people use their computer for much more than that in their daily life. I really want the performance of 16-cores/32-threads in daily use, and also the benefit of being able to achieve the best gaming performance with a high-end GPU. 8-core/16-thread just isn't enough today.

for anything I do for work, my machine is basically just a simple terminal. For example, I had to generate 20 TB of data for a test, so I provisioned a 64 core machine, SSH’d to it, and then generated and loaded the data. I could have done that with my old 2700k. If it weren’t for Boinc and Gaming, I could probably do everything I need on an 8GB raspberry pi.

Become a Patron!
Back