AMD Ryzen 7000 Series Processors Feature over 15% Better Single-Threaded Performance, Launching This Fall

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It won't be long until AMD officially announces its Ryzen 7000 Series processors at Computex 2022, but VideoCardz has provided an early teaser of what red team plans to share with a leaked slide that can confirm some of the improvements that the new CPUs are set to bring.

Go to post

15%... are they being conservative? That isn't going to cut it.

Why not?

If it's compared to the 5800X3D, seems that wouldn't be so bad at all.
It might - the 5800X3D is only faster than a 5800X in CPU cache-bound workloads. Anything else and the 5800X is faster, as are its larger core count siblings.

It might - the 5800X3D is only faster than a 5800X in CPU cache-bound workloads. Anything else and the 5800X is faster, as are its larger core count siblings.
Well, it's enough to put it over the top in some specific scenarios, as you say, even over Alder Lake. And those scenarios are the ones I tend to care more about in my personal PC.

So if you can beat that by 15%, that doesn't seem to bad at all.

But if you are just talking about generic single threaded benchmarks, yeah 15% isn't enough to catch up to Alder Lake. But I don't run single threaded benchmarks on a daily basis.

If it doesn't beat it on release I'd be curious to see what a year's worth of driver and bios updates does for it.

It's going to need them for DDR5 - still, the cores themselves need to be stout. That's the one thing that Intel did with Alder Lake (after years of... not so much), and Alder Lake is still cache-bound itself, which Raptor Lake looks to address.

It's going to need them for DDR5 - still, the cores themselves need to be stout. That's the one thing that Intel did with Alder Lake (after years of... not so much), and Alder Lake is still cache-bound itself, which Raptor Lake looks to address.
I'm going for the fastest Raptor Lake when they come out. Can't bring myself to go back to AMD.

When I upgrade next I'll go with the platform that is best at that time. I won't be pre predicting what platform that will be.

When I upgrade next I'll go with the platform that is best at that time. I won't be pre predicting what platform that will be.
I like this. I probably won’t be upgrading for another couple of generations myself. Who knows what it will look like by then

I'm going for the fastest Raptor Lake when they come out. Can't bring myself to go back to AMD.
I'm doing both - several of each - but more for my own education and to have discrete compute resources on tap for... projects.

Actually plan to have the 12700K system on the desk as well as the 5700G and 5800X3D. Different purposes for each, with the 5800X3D system being intended to be more mobile, and the 5700G to primarily be a Linux desktop, very likely Fedora.

I can't say that I'd be able to pick one over the other with the same GPU backing them up.

Become a Patron!
Back