AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Packaging Revealed

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It may be just a box, but this is one less Ryzen mystery to speculate about. System builder and comparison shopping website PCPartPicker has published a shot of the Ryzen 9 3900X's packaging, which switches the second generation's dark gray background for a steely, carbon-fiber aesthetic.

The box will include an AMD Wraith Prism RGB cooler (140 W TDP), A-RGB cables, and a case badge. "PCIe 4.0 Ready" is proudly displayed on the bottom holder.

I'm looking forward to the performance head to head testing of this box vs intel's boxes.

I read somewhere that one of Intel's secret sauce pillars of a return to dominance is vibrant retail packaging.

I still don't understand why they feel the need for such huge boxes.

Do they feel an inherent need to make these things as inconvenient and expensive to distribute as possible? Just drop the stock cooler. No builder worth their salt is going to use a stock cooler anyway. It's just going to wind up languishing in someone's basement until it gets thrown out in 5 to 20 years.

There is no reason an AM4 CPU package needs to be larger than a deck of cards.

It's been this way for a long time and it seems the more fine our traces become (7nm and so on) the larger our boxes need to be... I can only guess it has something to do with preventing as much electrostatic discharge as reasonable from finding the component. And between materials and packaging this is the most cost efficient method. I don't think they would do this just because. (Though really if it is just because nobody thought to check that's hilarious.)

I still don't understand why they feel the need for such huge boxes.

Do they feel an inherent need to make these things as inconvenient and expensive to distribute as possible? Just drop the stock cooler. No builder worth their salt is going to use a stock cooler anyway. It's just going to wind up languishing in someone's basement until it gets thrown out in 5 to 20 years.

There is no reason an AM4 CPU package needs to be larger than a deck of cards.
It's probably to make it more difficult to steal. Granted, some stores have their CPUs behind locked glass, but for the ones that don't, it's harder to stuff a large box in your bulky pants or shirt than a deck of cards-sized box.

Become a Patron!
Back