AMD Ryzen 9 3950X: World’s 1st 16-Core Gaming CPU Leaked

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
VideoCardz has received a slide that confirms the existence of a 16-Core Ryzen. AMD is calling it the Ryzen 9 3950X, the world’s 1st 16-core gaming CPU.

It features a base clock of 3.5 GHz and boost clock of 4.7 GHz. The total cache is 72 MB, and TDP is 105 W.

There is speculation AMD will announce the chip this week at E3.

Damnnnnnn. I wonder what all core boost looks like

I wonder what the pricing on that thing will be like.

I think I just heard $750 on the stream? I got excited and forgot lol

That 105W is pretty sweet if true.

Keep in mind that AMD doesn't actually calculate TDP the way Intel does. In either case, the TDP goes out the window the moment you overclock it.

I wonder how good the new Zen IPC will be? I have had this 5960x OC for a while and would like something new to play with.

I wonder how good the new Zen IPC will be? I have had this 5960x OC for a while and would like something new to play with.

Simply put, we don't know yet. AMD confirmed in the live stream that the improvement is 15%. How true that is remains to be seen. Intel used to make pretty grand claims about IPC improvements each generation and weren't technically lying, because in select cases it was true. Whether or not AMD is pulling that same crap here or whether or not this improvement is across the board is still up in the air. There was supposedly an MSI leak where they said the improvement was actually closer to 13%, so we have at least one lower figure floating around out there.

I too came from an overclocked Core i7 5960X. I switched it out with a Threadripper 2920X, but that was basically a lateral move outside of encoding. There are times where I think my old setup was actually faster. I've been meaning to set it up and throw my 2080 Ti on it to see how it stacks up. I never ran this card on that combination. I ran my 1080 Ti's in SLI on both the Core i7 5960X and the Threadripper 2920X. Certainly, the new setup feels slower than the old one in titles that supported SLI, because it is. However, most of the games didn't do anything meaningful with SLI, so as a result, its been an upgrade more often than not. Still, the CPU I think has had nothing to do with that.

I'll probably hold where I'm at unless the Ryzen 3950X and the X570 platform blows my mind in September. I've run an HEDT setup since Nehalem, and ran Pentium Pro's before when most people were on Pentium CPU's. It would be weird to be using mainstream hardware in my own machine.

Become a Patron!
Back