AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Will Be Available for $554 on Black Friday

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Ryzen 9 7950X, AMD's flagship Zen 4 desktop processor, will be available for $574 at Newegg beginning next week as part of the retailer's Black Friday promotions, which begin on November 21 and run until November 26.

See full article...

Hmm, is this a better deal than microcenter’s 32gb ram free and $50 off when buying a mb?

Hmm, is this a better deal than microcenter’s 32gb ram free and $50 off when buying a mb?
I'd say yes, but in this performance tier a 13900K makes more sense IMO, unless the 7950X happens to be faster in something that makes one money. But you'd also get the same or similar discount with Intel at Microcenter too...

The 7900X for $459 is tempting
Yeah it is. I like the idea, just don't like AMDs motherboard options - which are even more confounding and expensive than Z690 boards are, and that's just looking at DDR5.

Yeah it is. I like the idea, just don't like AMDs motherboard options - which are even more confounding and expensive than Z690 boards are, and that's just looking at DDR5.
Ehh, I mean, the B650 motherboard options aren't terribly expensive if you aren't concerned with overclocking.

DDR5 isn't all that bad either. 32GB kits of 6000 is around $180.

Ehh, I mean, the B650 motherboard options aren't terribly expensive if you aren't concerned with overclocking.
Compare their featuresets to a Z690 board - B650 is significantly cutdown, and the boards show it. Fine for a minimal system, but if one needs more than a few NVMe drives etc., they come up short. That along with the pricing on the X670 boards - some of which are very well equipped - is a hard swallow.

DDR5 isn't all that bad either. 32GB kits of 6000 is around $180.
DDR5 started off as a bit of a low point for AM5, but I'm inclined to agree. So long as you're set on the platform, a kit of 5600MT/s+ with Samsung ICs will serve you well enough; if you're planning on upgrading CPUs in the future (which, AM5, so probably yes) it might be worth it to spring for lower-latency, higher-overclocking Hynix M-die, for when AMD figures out how to make their memory controllers push to over 6000MT/s reliably.

On the overclocking front, I haven't seen more than a few claims of 6400MT/s, and this is with significant tuning, including getting custom BIOSs from motherboard manufacturers. Not the kind of stuff you want to be doing while trying to actually use the system for work, which presumably you're doing if you go higher than a 7700X or 13600K, which is where gaming dollars per unit of performance drops off a cliff. Or you'd just get a 5800X3D and declare victory at half the cost 🍻.

Considering the cost of complete new system, I'd just go for the 7950X myself. Saving $100-200 on the CPU doesn't seem like a good value anymore, when it's going to be providing me with years of service. Those extra cores will come in handy when running VMs, compiling code, etc. Power efficiency looked good too when the power limits are tuned appropriately. What I don't like are the new motherboards and where DDR5 is at the stage, so I'll continue to wait for the next generation. The B650E boards seemed like the best compromise to me based on AMD's requirements, but manufacturer implementations may leave something to be desired. The platform as a whole just isn't mature enough for me.

P.S. My wallet would like to know if there's an option to hide these threads.

Become a Patron!
Back