AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D vs AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU Performance

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction AMD launched its Ryzen 9 7950X3D CPU with 3D V-Cache on February 27th, 2023. This $699.00 Zen 4-based CPU takes the Ryzen 7000 series and ups the ante with a large 128MB of L3 cache meant to boost gaming performance. AMD does this by incorporating this extra 3D V-Cache on one of the 8-core CCD dies, while the other 8-core CCD die does not have this built on top. In this way, AMD provides a 16-core/32-thread CPU that is able to boost up to 5.7GHz for normal workloads, but yet can also benefit gaming performance by moving games over […]

See full article...

So, question.

Here is a head to head comparison of two different items. The writeup is great and I think it's a very good article. But you have those Review Overview graphs at the bottom that list Performance/efficiency/features/value. So which of these two items in a head to head comparison does that graph pertain to? You may want to revisit that graph layout for head to head comparison type reviews.

It pertains to the 7950X3D. The first CPU in the title, is always the one that is the main focus, or the one being reviewed. I think from the tone of the review, as you read it, starting with the Introduction, I made it quite clear the 7950X3D is the focus of the review and the CPU that is being "reviewed". IMO, the text is very clear about which CPU is in question here. The conclusion also concludes with that comparison and focus. In addition, the "Summary" in the ranking system starts off with the very first line telling the reader what we did in the review: "In this application-focused review, we find out the overall big picture of the Ryzen 9 7950X3D when it comes to application performance." and the rest of it goes into explaining the ratings we chose, and why, for that CPU that it calls out. IMO, the intention is very clear.

So, question.

Here is a head to head comparison of two different items. The writeup is great and I think it's a very good article. But you have those Review Overview graphs at the bottom that list Performance/efficiency/features/value. So which of these two items in a head to head comparison does that graph pertain to? You may want to revisit that graph layout for head to head comparison type reviews.
I see what you're saying here. When doing a head to head include the overall score and short breakdown for each.... makes sense. Also makes sense to only do the title card.

Oh I also wanted to add, good review enjoyed reading it and feel more informed. I'll be waiting for the next generation CPU's from AMD before I talk upgrade. Or maybe skip two depending on motherboard, ram and storage costs.

I see what you're saying here. When doing a head to head include the overall score and short breakdown for each.... makes sense. Also makes sense to only do the title card.

That is what the "Summary" section does at the bottom of every page, to explain the rankings.

Become a Patron!
Back