AMD Teases Radeon RX 5000-Series Navi GPUs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Those rumors alluding to an RX 3080 GPU were evidently false. Before announcing the Ryzen 3000 desktop processors, Dr. Lisa Su teased AMD’s new Navi GPUs, which would be branded as the RX 5000 series. More will be revealed at E3 next month, but Dr. Su did reveal Navi utilizes an all-new architecture dubbed RDNA (Radeon DNA).

It carries a new compute unit design that is meant to deliver more performance in a smaller package. “It is projected to provide up to 1.25X higher performance-per-clock11 and up to 1.5X higher performance-per-watt over GCN12, enabling better gaming performance at lower power and reduced latency.”

During the keynote, Dr. Su showcased the power of RDNA and one of the new AMD Radeon RX 5700-series graphics cards in a head-to-head comparison with a RTX 2070 card running a Strange Brigade gameplay demo, beating the competition delivering incredible ~100 FPS gaming.13 AMD Radeon RX 5700-series graphics cards are expected to be available in July 2019. Learn more at the AMD E3 livestream event on June 10, 2019 at 3 pm PT.

While a most welcome update, 2070 performance for many with previous high end cards will be waiting longer for AMD. Now I would be most interested in Laptop versions in how they compare to Nvidia - could make a nice Christmas present.

Now what is new about the Arch? Too many unanswered questions.

Well, at least those rumors spooked Nvidia enough to go out and file TMs for 3080. 4080, and 5080. Good to know Nvidia is willing to act on internet speculation. /s

Well, at least those rumors spooked Nvidia enough to go out and file TMs for 3080. 4080, and 5080. Good to know Nvidia is willing to act on internet speculation. /s
That's the point - AMD has finally learned how to compete on the top level.

Well, I don't think it's clear who put out the rumors of AMD stealing Nvidia's nomenclature. Not sure that it really qualifies as 'competing'. Releasing Zen2, Epyc, etc....now that's competing.

Well, I don't think it's clear who put out the rumors of AMD stealing Nvidia's nomenclature. Not sure that it really qualifies as 'competing'. Releasing Zen2, Epyc, etc....now that's competing.

Somewhat agree - let me put it another way - AMD is now participating at the same level of "gamesmanship" their competitors do to **** with their competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD leaked it themselves to make Nvidia waste time, energy and resources, no matter how minute. It's almost like a pro athlete trying to get a leg up on the competition with any little thing, whether real or imagined.

AMD has been pulling this naming convention shenanigans for quite awhile. They pulled this with their chipsets by making them sound very similar to Intel's, albeit with higher model numbers. Intel had Z270 and X299 so AMD went with X370 and X399. Intel has Z390 and now AMD has X470 and so on.

AMD has been pulling this naming convention shenanigans for quite awhile. They pulled this with their chipsets by making them sound very similar to Intel's, albeit with higher model numbers. Intel had Z270 and X299 so AMD went with X370 and X399. Intel has Z390 and now AMD has X470 and so on.
Ahh, ok, thanks for pointing that out. I haven't been following the tit-for-tat, so to speak, in recent history. Personally, I think it benefits both companies to engage in this since the average consumer will just get confused and probably go with the catchiest rgb, lol.

Become a Patron!
Back