AMD to Introduce Radeon Super Resolution (RSR), a New Scaling Technology That Will Work with Practically Every Game

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-top-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Despite working pretty well, FidelityFX Super Resolution is not the only fancy scaling technology that AMD will be introducing to Radeon users and other gamers in the near future.

That’s according to a source with VideoCardz, who claims that AMD is planning to reveal a new scaling technology called Radeon Super Resolution (RSR). The feature is said to work with any game that can be switched into exclusive full-screen mode, which implies that Radeon Super Resolution can be enabled in pretty much every game on the market.

“RSR is based on FSR 1.0 algorithm and will work through the Radeon software driver,” VideoCardz explains. “The technology will therefore overcome the biggest issue of proprietary super-resolution technologies, which is a requirement to be implemented in a specific place in the graphics pipeline.”

“This is usually needed to prevent issues...

Continue reading...

I thought they already had this, but maybe I’m thinking of a ReShade filter

I thought they already had this, but maybe I’m thinking of a ReShade filter
Yeah I think it already had an upscaling + sharpening filter. Somewhat akin to nvidia upscaler. Apparently both nvidia NIS and AMD RSR are improved versions.

I used AMD's VSR to run 1440p on one of my 1080p monitors (always borderless in games) .. of which seems to be a bit of the opposite of RSR ... ?

Last edited:
I used AMD's VSR to run 1440p on one of my 1080p monitors (always borderless in games) .. of which seems to a bit of the opposite of RSR ... ?
That was back when GPUs had balls, didn't cost your own pair, and weren't afraid to crank up the resolution. Now, they just throw cycles at Raytracing and scream because they can't do it.

Welcome to the next generation of gpus. Out paced by emerging technologies so we created software to met you run your game at a shinier resolution while still looking g like you're running at your real resolution. We just do it with less actually rendered pixels than your display. This technology is very similar to how you gpu can male older games look better by rendering at a resolution higher than your display and scaling the image down to your display resolution on the fly.

In the 2020's you're video driver picks the resolution for you. And you'll like it!!

Become a Patron!
Back