AMD X670 and B650 Motherboards for Ryzen 7000 Series Processors Will Only Support DDR5 Memory

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD users who are planning to make the jump to red team's X670 and B650 motherboards should prepare to pay higher premiums due to limited memory options. Tom's Hardware has received word from multiple sources that these AM5 platforms will only include support for DDR5, a decision that will ensure Ryzen 7000 Series processors are paired with today's fastest memory but at the cost of annoying enthusiasts who thought they could get away with cheaper, easier-to-find RAM.

Go to post

A lot of people will cry about it but the fact is, the decision makes a lot of sense from AMD's perspective. It makes for an easier memory controller design and its easier on motherboard manufacturers. Historically, AMD CPU's tended to have more of an issue with memory bandwidth and latencies than Intel's, so its possible DDR4 might incur a penalty on the 7000 series Ryzens. Now, I don't know that for sure and doubt that's the case, but its possible.

Meh this makes sense to me. So go forth and buy them! I'm a couple generations away from the next socket so my friends in tech go and make it all good for me! ;)

It'll be Ryzen 10000 series before I'm ready to upgrade.

I wouldn't have a problem with that if DDR5 wasn't twice the price of DDR4.
Just like every other RAM generation, prices will come down /stabilize as production ramps up. It's only so expensive right now because only one very new platform halfway uses it.

At least until it gets too cheap, and the next Tsunami, or power outage, or interstellar collision occurs and drives it back up for a bit.

Hopefully, by the grace of the gods, AMD along with motherboard manufacturers will have learned from Intel's experience with Z690, Alder Lake, and DDR5.

With JEDEC still readying DDR5-8000+ standards, it would be nice to see Zen 4 hit at least DDR5-6400 stable.

If we have learned anything about AMD they will release what they have when it is time to launch, and they will tune and update out the ying yang after that until stability and compatibility are awesome. The do this with all of their products. They KNOW they can't keep up with Nvidia or Intel in that regard at launch day but the performance improvement over time for all of their products is a strong + for them.

Become a Patron!
Back