An AMD Merger Deal with NVIDIA Fell Through Because CEO Jensen Huang Wanted to Stay in Charge, according to an Insider

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
An AMD merger deal with NVIDIA is said to have, at one time, been in the works but fell through due to leadership details. It's almost inconceivable but according to AMD Engineer Hemant Mohapatra, there was a point at which AMD nearly purchased NVIDIA.

See full article...

Some time after AMD bought ATI, there was a rumor that intel was to acquire nvidia but Jensen also wanted to be the CEO.

Nowadays, nvidia has the cash to buy both.

Can't say he's in the wrong here. Took Nvidia right to the top.

Can't say he's in the wrong here. Took Nvidia right to the top.
His engineers took it to the top. He just sits and takes all the credit.

Having the right employees makes all the difference. The guy at the top isn't responsible for that. He didn't even hire the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the engineers.

Having the right employees makes all the difference. The guy at the top isn't responsible for that. He didn't even hire the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the engineers.
Yes I understand that, but for him to be in charge is something right there. Sure I think the guy is quirky and probably isn't heavily involved, but he's smart to be in the position he's in so I have to give him some credit.

CEO's set the direction and kind of are the main Enterprise to Enterprise marketing face for the company. His engineers have been able to hit targets and he's satisfied customers with those targets. They have executed well under his 'leadership'. Can't deny that.

The guy is a visionary to say the least. He has made nvidia the top contender in pretty much every market its in and by a huge margin in most cases. Gaming, HPC, multimedia, robotics, automotive, just to name a few, and of course the cherry on top AI.

CEOs CAN make a huge difference, just take a look at AMD's Lisa Su, she brought the company from almost bankruptcy to a real competitor with intel. She does lack Jensen's vision though IMO, AMD doesn't even figure in most markets nvidia is in, it has a lot of catching up to do.

BTW he did hire the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the engineers :p :D ;)

I recall an ex-nvidia exec that said that the best thing nvidia got from the 3dfx buyout was not the technology, but the engineers.

Last edited:
The guy is a visionary to say the least. He has made nvidia the top contender in pretty much every market its in and by a huge margin in most cases. Gaming, HPC, multimedia, robotics, automotive, just to name a few, and of course the cherry on top AI.

CEOs CAN make a huge difference, just take a look at AMD's Lisa Su, she brought the company from almost bankruptcy to a real competitor with intel. She does lack Jensen's vision though IMO, AMD doesn't even figure in most markets nvidia is in, it has a lot of catching up to do.

BTW he did hire the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the person that hired the engineers :p :D ;)

I recall an ex-nvidia exec that said that the best thing nvidia got from the 3dfx buyout was not the technology, but the engineers.
I don't know where you guys work... but you have a low opinion of engineers. Where I work Engineers like myself are... lets see.. Pay grade wise.. 4 steps removed from C level?

CEOs may not always get their hands dirty but they set the direction and tone. I think more gets said by what they don't do rather than what they do: Inaction can speak louder than action.

Become a Patron!
Back