Analyst Predicts PS5 Pro Will Sell at PS4 Pro Levels as Players Criticize System’s “Crazy” $700 Price and “Hope to God” Microsoft Remains...

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The PlayStation 5 Pro, a new version of the 2020 video game console that Sony Interactive Entertainment announced today with several new features, including a GPU upgrade, advanced ray tracing, and PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (i.e., AI-driven upscaling) technology, will sell just as well as the PS4 Pro despite its $699.99 MSRP and substantially higher price point differential, according to the latest predictions from Piers Harding-Rolls, research director for games at Ampere Analysis.

See full article...

This is a console for people who have $$$$ large TVs

The rest poor people can forget it.

I mean, I have no interest in a console, any console, but $700 doesn't seem so bad.
$200 more than the regular PS5 with optical drive, but does NOT have an optical drive, and the vertical stand (which is included with lower PS5 SKUs) is not included. Even if it had all this, $700 is an insaaaaane price for a console. So is $600. So is $500. Honestly so is $400.

This is a console for people who have $$$$ large TVs

The rest poor people can forget it.
And if those people got that kind of money, they'll put it into a PC instead of wasting money on this sh1t.

$200 more than the regular PS5 with optical drive, but does NOT have an optical drive, and the vertical stand (which is included with lower PS5 SKUs) is not included. Even if it had all this, $700 is an insaaaaane price for a console. So is $600. So is $500. Honestly so is $400.

I don't know. It's only a $200 difference.

That's like one dinner out with the wife.

$200 one way or another won't amount to a hill of beans.

It's only a $200 difference.

That's like one dinner out with the wife.
Man, I wish I could get on your level. $200 is mind-boggling to me, especially since the PS5 Pro is not $200 worth of improvements over the base PS5. Spend $200 on ONE dinner for 2?! Yowza!

If a person doesn't have any kind of desktop computer, a console isn't a bad idea for strictly gaming.

I don't entirely disagree.

If I could get a PC-like experience out of console hardware, and only needed mainstream level hardware, I'd do it.

I'd insist on being able to hook up regular mice and keyboards to it though (not some specialty adapter, or special Sony/Microsoft bullshit) and have them work in every title.

Same with storage devices. No specialty licensed bullshit. Have them accept any m.2 or SATA drive that fits.

I'd also be dead set against any subscription model for accessing any online service.

Also, there would have to be open competition for game sales on the platform. No limitation to a single Sony or Microsoft store.

If all of that were true, I'd totally consider it if I needed a low to mid level machine.

You could install 3rd party operating systems on the Xbox 360 as I recall. That was pretty cool. And then they patched that feature away, which was total bullshit.

Because if you think of it, console hardware - while nowhere near the capability of a good desktop - is one hell of a bang for the buck. Who wouldn't want to take advantage of that?

Of course, these days I believe they are all using the "HP Printer" or "Gillette Razor" business model. Sell the printer at a loss, or sell (or give away) the handle at a loss, and then make back the money by selling overpriced ink cartridges or razor blade cartridges.

So they obviously can't open up the hardware or let you do whatever you want with it, because then they don't make back the loss leader.

And that's the rub really.

Consoles have become a trap for those who lack either the money or time (or intellect/attention to detail/attention span, if you are less kind) to build a PC. Sure, they are cheaper up front, but over the life of the device compared to a mid-range PC these folks are paying WAY more money in subscriptions to online services, full price games, specialty devices (storage, controllers, etc.) with Sony/Microsoft markups, etc. etc.

It's a lot like how payday lenders lure poor folks into the cycle of high interest debt, or used car dealers who specialize in selling to people with poor credit actually screw them over by repeatedly repossessing the same car when they inevitably can't afford to pay the insane interest rates. The less fortunate, less capable (and the lazy) always get taken advantage of by someone. It's just yet another way they get screwed over by the system. And because they don't realize what is actually going on, and don't add up the costs and compare that they are getting a ****tier experience for more money over time just because it looks cheap up front) they are happy...

It's another form of the "great reset" mentality, of "you'll own nothing and you'll be happy", except here instead you'll own less, and be tied into subscriptions contracts and overpriced licenses and you'll be happy-ish? At least until the veil gets yanked from their eyes.

As always, those who either have less cash on hand, less technical capability, or who just don't care to invest the time, get screwed over big time by companies willing to prey on them.

Man, I wish I could get on your level. $200 is mind-boggling to me, especially since the PS5 Pro is not $200 worth of improvements over the base PS5. Spend $200 on ONE dinner for 2?! Yowza!

Maybe it is just cost of living differences from place to place? Because that's not even at a fancy restaurant. I mean, it's not at a Applebees, 99's or Chilis, but its at a regular independent sit down place.

Though to be fair, I did up a little bit.

The cheapest plates on the menu are usually ~$25-$30. If you want steak it's usually at least $50-$60 (unless you want the luxurious super-sized filet mignon, or something, in which case you'll be paying way more) and with steaks, the sides are always separate at anywhere from $8-$18 a pop, depending on what they are...

Get a small appetizer and beer or cocktail or two each while you wait for your food, share a mid-range OK bottle of wine with your food*, and then share a dessert, and have maybe a dessert cocktail or or sip on a scotch, and wham, $140 to $185. Add tip, and you could be over $200.

(***** do they mark up the wine in restaurants. A bottle I'd pay $18 for at the liquor store is usually $60-$70 in a restaurant.)

But yeah. Used to do this once or twice a week before the pandemic and its associated elevated inflation, but since then we got married, bought a house, and everything got more expensive. I'm constantly spending half my paycheck at home depot, and have a hell of a mortgage since we bought in one of the most in-demand markets in the world (greater Boston) in 2021, despite buying a tiny starter home.

So now? Yeah, it's more like once or twice a month.

This year it's been even less. Probably only a handful of times this year, in part because of cost, but also because of a series of home improvement projects that have been all consuming as of late. Earlier in the year I decided to dig and plumb my own sump, and then in May I started a massive DIY HVAC project and pent all of my money and time there for three months.

I've barely even played any games in 2024. I did fire up Civ6 for a little bit the other day, but other than that I haven't really played any game since I finished Starfield late last year. I was going to play Phantom Liberty but I had some issues with controls since the new patch (they changed them, and some seem not to be able to have the bindings changed) which dissuaded me from even trying. That, and while I wanted to enjoy more Cyberpunk story, it is weird to come back to it after having finished the main story. I wish they had integrated the expansion differently somehow. Way to have a high end GPU just depreciate unused, huh? :p

But yeah, I don't consider a restaurant visit like this to be a super luxurious experience. It's not one of those Michelin star or fency 8-course dinner places where each plate is the size of a ping pong ball in the center of an empty plate. We are talking ordinary independent restaurants, with names like Public Kitchen, Pour House, The Abbey, etc. which is amusing, as these are names cheap restaurants used to have back in the day :p

Maybe this experience is cheaper in your market. It wouldn't surprise me. Everything is more expensive here. In large part because housing is so expensive, so businesses are forced to pay way more for labor or they won't get employees, because the employees have to be able to live somewhere... And this repeats itself all throughout the supply chain. The rent for the building the restaurant is in, the direct employees at the restaurant (cooks, bartenders, bus boys, cleaning crew, hostess, etc.), the employees who drive the trucks to deliver the foodstuffs and raw materials, the workers in the warehouse where they come from, the warehouse itself.... Everything is driven up in price because of the high cost of real estate.

I've done the math on occasion.

I would earn way less doing my same job in a less in demand market. Like WAY less. In some cases 50-75% of my current salary. But factor in housing and other cost of living, and I'd actually have more money left after subtracting necessities. And I'd likely live in a WAY larger and nicer house, with maybe more money left over for expensive hopbbies (like project cars or a boat)

I've often thought about moving somewhere cheaper, but I have family ties in the area, so I have never quite felt like I can just up and leave.

Last edited:
The price doesn’t hang me up.

The fact that it has absolutely no purpose right now does. They should have shipped a few games with enhanced modes to show it off.

Instead we get … well it plays all the same stuff with the same graphics, just better fps. Go buy it please.

The price doesn’t hang me up.

The fact that it has absolutely no purpose right now does. They should have shipped a few games with enhanced modes to show it off.

Instead we get … well it plays all the same stuff with the same graphics, just better fps. Go buy it please.

Maybe this news post right here is why:

Maybe this experience is cheaper in your market. It wouldn't surprise me. Everything is more expensive here. In large part because housing is so expensive, so businesses are forced to pay way more for labor or they won't get employees, because the employees have to be able to live somewhere...
Similar situation where I live - small tourist mountain town in CA

Many of the folks that work here live out in camper trailers or ex-fishing shacks. Or they have to drive 50+ miles from the nearest major town - and gas out here really isn’t cheap. I just filled up today at $6.0009

And thankfully they raised minimum wage for fast food here - so that helps right? No, they just slashed the number of jobs and cut the hours way back, while also raising prices.

The local places had to raise their wages to compete though, and their prices all went up to boot.

A fast food dinner, or a sit down restaurant meal without appetizers or alcohol - about $25-30 a person. A sit down place with three courses and a drink or two - it’s anywhere from $50-$100+ per person

I’m not an economist and don’t have any data to back it up - but sure feels like the prices went up way more than the wages for these local jobs did.

The folks that work here can’t afford to live here at all. My office is 55 miles out (down in that nearest city), I can telecom in most of the time - and most of the time I have to go out it’s to a remote site not the office - it was a 3.5 hr commute one way today, for instance. But that lets me afford to live where I want to. But I could not do that if I actually had a job locally.

So not as bad as Boston for sure, but not great.

I wish my salary increased at the rate of console prices.
My first console was a PS2 Slim in 2006. It cost roughly 1/10th of the expected price of this ps5 pro, if we include the optical drive. And why wouldn't we? The PS2 Slim had one too.

If my net income was 10x compared to 2006 I'd be filthy rich.

Ugh, don't remind me about that thing. Mine currently doesn't read discs, and the memory card ports are very unreliable. Sadly none of my console+arcade+pinball hardware repair friends wanna fix it. They all HATE working on PS2s. I'd like to replace the optical drive with an optical drive emulator that reads ISOs off an SD card. Or at the very least just get the dang optical drive working again. Although I don't know what to do about the memcard ports. PS2 emulation on PC still isn't where I'd like it to be, so it would be nice if I had working hardware. Guess I'll just end up grabbing another one at some point.

Ugh, don't remind me about that thing. Mine currently doesn't read discs, and the memory card ports are very unreliable. Sadly none of my console+arcade+pinball hardware repair friends wanna fix it. They all HATE working on PS2s. I'd like to replace the optical drive with an optical drive emulator that reads ISOs off an SD card. Or at the very least just get the dang optical drive working again. Although I don't know what to do about the memcard ports. PS2 emulation on PC still isn't where I'd like it to be, so it would be nice if I had working hardware. Guess I'll just end up grabbing another one at some point.

How long since you tried PCSX2? It's a great emulator with tons of features and compatibility. I won't even touch a real PS2 after using PCSX2.

How long since you tried PCSX2? It's a great emulator with tons of features and compatibility. I won't even touch a real PS2 after using PCSX2.
Last I tried it had some issues with some games still. But it must have been 2-3 years ago at least.

How long since you tried PCSX2? It's a great emulator with tons of features and compatibility.
PCSX2 has been my go-to PS2 emulator for many years. The last time I used it was earlier this year or last year.

I won't even touch a real PS2 after using PCSX2.
I basically feel the same way about PS1 thanks to DuckStation and the excellent PS1 emulation on PS3. But the main reason I stuck to emulators for PS1 for decades now is cuz my hardware memory card got f*cked up many years ago and I lost most of my original save data. Also my first PS1 (which was hard-modded) died on me (well the optical drive and memory card ports died). My 2nd PS1 is still fine but by then I was using my PS2 for PS1 games before I moved to emulation.

Last I tried it had some issues with some games still.
Yeah this is still very true.

Become a Patron!
Back