Apacer Unveils PCIe Gen 5 M.2 NVMe Consumer SSDs with 13,000 MB/s Read and 12,000 MB/s Write Speeds

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Apacer has teased the next generation of storage and the blisteringly fast speeds that they will be capable of with its latest SSD announcements, the Apacer AS2280F5 and ZADAK TWSG5.

Go to post

While those transfer rates are... insane... some questions.

1. Controller... that controller better be beefy.
2. Seek time... while the transfer rates are awesome... I suspect the seek time at this phase should be sub MS. Into nanosecond range.
3. Performance at peek time. Those are peek numbers to be sure but how sustainable are these. For normal workloads on desktops it won't matter but for Workstation and Server performance you don't want to see big drop offs in performance once cache is expended.

I still can’t tell the difference between my SATA3 and NVMe SSDs in my build under regular conditions

I still can’t tell the difference between my SATA3 and NVMe SSDs in my build under regular conditions
Really? Really truly? Because I could tell a big difference going to SATA3 SSD to NVME PCIE 3 x4, to NVME PCIE 4x4... though to be VERY clear... the 4x4 was less.. "Hey I boot faster" Because faster is relative and I just rebuilt a system and changed a bunch of parts. So I would have to attribute the storage performance to something else. Not sure what.

And honestly with the track record I've established I'll wait for the Samsung version. ;) I've had amazing luck with them.

Really? Really truly? Because I could tell a big difference going to SATA3 SSD to NVME PCIE 3 x4, to NVME PCIE 4x4... though to be VERY clear... the 4x4 was less.. "Hey I boot faster"
Really truly.

I guess if I sat with a stopwatch maybe. But for me, booting in 4 seconds versus 6 seconds (not that I've timed it, just off-the-cuff numbers)... dunno that I'd see it unless I was trying.

In games, they all load fast - I can tell when I have one on my HDD, but between the two SSDs, I can't really tell the difference.

I definitely notice the difference going from an HDD to SSD. I very rarely do any type of sustained data transfer that would let a drive really stretch those higher transfer speeds - it's all about IOPs, and to a lesser degree, latency. And on paper, yeah, NVMe is faster than SATA in both of those -- but not orders of magnitude faster like going from HDD to SSD is.

Become a Patron!
Back