Apple Announces iCloud+ with New Premium Features

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
apple-laptop-cloud-gears-graphic-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

Apple unveiled the latest version of iOS during today’s WWDC21 event. In addition to major updates to FaceTime, enhanced on-device intelligence, and more ways to explore the world using apps such as Maps, Weather, and Wallet, iOS 15 will also introduce a premium version of its cloud storage and cloud computing service called iCloud+ that carries a variety of new premium features. These include Hide My Email (users can share unique, random email addresses that forward to their personal inbox), expanded HomeKit Secure Video support, and a new internet privacy service called iCloud Private Relay that encrypts all traffic leaving a user’s device when browsing with Safari...

Continue reading...

Hmm.

Apple has had the anonymous email available when using Apple ID for Gamepass / Login use, kinda nice to see it get extended out a bit - hopefully in a non-abusable manner.

The VPN - if it’s only linked to Safari that kills 75% of the reason to use a VPN. But if it’s system wide it’s a nice security bonus. Of all the major vendors out there - I would not explicitly trust Apple with all my traffic, but they are the only ones who at least seem to give lip service to keeping your data private and secure.

I think the biggest news is the three weeks of free “unlimited” storage when you purchase a new device - so you can use cloud transfer for data backup and restoration. It’s still a pain if your on archaic Internet, but one less obstacle if you didn’t happen to have a computer handy, and one less reason to need iTunes - which is almost dead and gone now.

Not really a lot of meat in this release though. Some nice privacy and security points to see.

Was hoping to hear some more on the hardware side, but not surprised there was no news.

Become a Patron!
Back