Apple Cancels Decade-Long Effort to Build an Electric Car

Crutchfield. If you want apple car play or android auto.. they can generally do that and give you the parts to maintain all controls and such.
I just put a Carplay-compatible head unit into a '87 Ford. Crutchfield is generally pretty awesome.

Crutchfield. If you want apple car play or android auto.. they can generally do that and give you the parts to maintain all controls and such.
Yeah sure but I want the 360 birds eye view cam and blind spot detectors etc. I can live without android auto, I just use my phone with a windshield mount for waze. Also anything 3rd party for my Maxima would have to replace a good chunk of dashboard and have to integrate into my car's steering wheel controls etc... not worth the effort.

I just put a Carplay-compatible head unit into a '87 Ford. Crutchfield is generally pretty awesome.
The older cars are a lot easier to replace things on, don't have to deal with the onboard computer stuff built into the head unit or the steering wheel controls. I did a head unit replacement not too long ago on a 2003 Mustang and it was easy. I did car stereo and alarm install in the low 90's but the integrated stuff in modern cars makes it very difficult nowadays.

Se
I did a head unit replacement not too long ago on a 2003 Mustang and it was easy.
See and I have a "New Edge" (refresh of 4th-gen) Mustang too. So you say it is easy huh? Cuz all I want are some f*cking USB ports so I can load audio from a flash drive. My car's CD drive doesn't read MP3 CDs, and it gets HOT, which causes burned discs to become unreadable. Well actually, I should probably focus on other things first, like oh I dunno, how the headlights randomly cut-off (used to be high beams but now lows too), or how both of the cig lighter plugs crapped out (the first one went ages ago, 2nd one might be fuse but I lost my kit that was full of fuses for my car), or the belt squeal cuz it's probably slipping (that's new, the current belt is not even that old), or the engine running lean (or at least that's the check engine light code I got from my pop's reader), or replace the A/C compressor pulley that won't spin (don't care cuz plain don't need A/C in most scenarios in many years). I just don't really need to drive much these days. Haven't for years, even before COVID-19. But yeah I'm tired of using a cassette adapter to play audio from my phone (and years ago, from a Creative Zen Vision-M something-or-other MP3 player, which was stolen back in 2010 among other items). My adapter has gotten wonky over the years, and now half the channels cut off. Sometimes I have to jiggle the wire or re-seat the "tape" part of the adapter to get the right channel to come back.

Do not want anything that uses a touchscreen. Can't f*cking stand those, especially in vehicles. Worse in vehicles cuz they are a hazard.

Crutchfield was a name I knew about back in the day, and used to peruse the catalogs often. So they're still alive and kickin' huh?

EDIT:
The older cars are a lot easier to replace things on
You're telling me. My car has no ABS, no traction or stability control, nothing fancy at all. Makes doing things like replacing calipers, pads, and rotors easier. Not many sensors to deal with, unlike today's cars. No drive-by-wire crap, an actual real key, and well just simple straightforward sh1t (well as straightforward as you can get when dealing with Ford nonsense) that makes maintenance easier to deal with. Taurus SHO on the other hand, f*cking nightmare. Also wish my popz would stop buying Ford stuff, but that's a whole other thing.

Last edited:
Cuz all I want are some f*cking USB ports so I can load audio from a flash drive.
So USB is kind of tricky to add, but Bluetooth to connect to your phone isn't too bad

You can get them for much cheaper if you don't mind CUZOOY brand - just wanted to use a Crutchfield link. This one has a USB port, but it's for charging only. Supposedly there are FM transmitters that can read a flash drive but I wasn't able to find one in my 30 second search.

So USB is kind of tricky to add, but Bluetooth to connect to your phone isn't too bad

You can get them for much cheaper if you don't mind CUZOOY brand - just wanted to use a Crutchfield link. This one has a USB port, but it's for charging only. Supposedly there are FM transmitters that can read a flash drive but I wasn't able to find one in my 30 second search.
In my experience, FM transmitters f*cking suck. Thanks for the suggestion though.

See and I have a "New Edge" (refresh of 4th-gen) Mustang too. So you say it is easy huh? Cuz all I want are some f*cking USB ports so I can load audio from a flash drive.

So I had a 2003 which is similar. This was 10 years ago, but I bought a single din Kenwood or something cd-player with USB at Fry's for like $99. The adapters and the plastic dash parts were ebay and under $25. The bluetooth was a nice option but the speakerphone didn't work so great bc the car was so noisy. You can get a double din in there but I just wanted cheapest option to play mp3's... the original cd changer had choked on a cd and no longer worked. Years later when we decided to sell, I took the Ford changer apart and got the disc out (RIP - Cool World soundtrack), and put it back in the car and sold the Kenwood for what I paid for it.

Crutchfield is certainly still an option, just not the cheapest one.

edit - this can't be the same one 10 years later, but it looked like this one. Still $100 LOL. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YHZX4L3/?tag=thefpsreview-20

again, can't say if this fits you or not but the dash adapter looked something like this = https://www.ebay.com/itm/145655569820? and they have all the plug and play wiring harnesses too for pretty cheap

Become a Patron!
Back