Apple Fined $2 Million for Selling iPhones without Chargers in Brazil

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
iphone-12-phone-box-contents-1024x576.jpg
Image: Omid Armin (Unsplash)

Apple is facing a hefty fine from São Paulo’s consumer protection agency for selling iPhones without chargers in Brazil. The penalty was shared by Brazilian tech news outlet Tilt, which confirmed that the company had been asked to pay nearly $2 million by Procon-SP due to the omission, as well as misleading advertising and unfair terms. Apple stopped including chargers with the debut of its iPhone 12 model in October, citing environmental concerns.

“The agency announced on Friday (19) that it applied a fine in the amount of R $ 10,546,442.48 to Apple for selling iPhones without a charger,” Tilt reported. “In addition, Procon-SP accuses the company of misleading advertising, of selling devices with...

Continue reading...

Wonder how they came up with that number?
It may as well be 10,987,654.32

Cables adapters, batteries, are a concern.
Standards are too long overdue and seems they might never happen.
Its a profound failure of humanity.
Why I consider this such a failure, when people starve and die in war and so on.. because this is not only easy, but completely superfluous and insignificant in our daily lives ( but a good help in curbing environmental damage). And we can't even do that.
Nothing would happen if devices had replaceable standard format battery and standard connectors for charge. Nothing, anything argued about it is bull crap and anyone with sincere thoughts and 2 neurons to rub together knows this.

Cables adapters, batteries, are a concern.
Standards are too long overdue and seems they might never happen.
Its a profound failure of humanity.
Charger I think your pretty much there. Qi has pretty well become the de facto standard for wireless charging.

Sure, there are lots of variants for different levels of fast charging.. but any Qi phone should charge at least at some basic level on any Qi charger, and I don't know that any wireless charging phones out right now that aren't Qi compatible - including Apple.

For wired... yeah. I'm very glad MicroUSB didn't become the standard - I hate those connectors with a passion. USB C I could live with - honestly not sure why Apple hasn't jumped over to that. Lightning was/is great, but it doesn't really do anything now that USB C doesn't do either, so now I think it's just a legacy thing with Apple. Honestly though, I wouldn't care if the wired option doesn't go away entirely - it would make the phone more water resistant - all the port does on my current phone is collect lint. Same thing with the headphone jack - sure we all miss it, but I don't really miss it that much. And I like that it's one less hole in the phone to get lint/dirt/water in - Bluetooth works well enough for me.

For replacement batteries... Hmm. I'm on the fence on this once. I have certainly had devices where there was still life left in them when the batteries just didn't hold up any longer. But most devices, once the battery is done, I'm looking at the next upgrade anyway. And it does make the engineering that goes into manufactuer more challenging... the device is either a lot bulkier (don't get me wrong, I think they have taken "Thin" to an extreme, but I don't want a return to StarTac levels either), or flimiser, or both. And you have the water thing to deal with again.

I'm all for people having the option of a removeable battery - I don't see it as a binary "either/or" in the marketplace, so it isn't that I think your opinion on that is wrong. Just my own preference would be to stick with the sealed unit, knowing that battery issues aren't typically user-serviceable

Should Brazil (and whomever) sue Apple for not including a charger? Hmm... I don't think so. It's one thing if it says "Charger Included" on the box and it's not there, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I can think of plenty of devices where you can buy it, but without some other key component that is an optional purchase, the device is pretty much a paperweight.

Should Brazil (and whomever) sue Apple for not including a charger? Hmm... I don't think so. It's one thing if it says "Charger Included" on the box and it's not there, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I can think of plenty of devices where you can buy it, but without some other key component that is an optional purchase, the device is pretty much a paperweight.

At first I was like yea.. video cards... turntables... but wait those are considered components. When was a phone ever a component. That would be akin to buying a high end receiver but not getting the power cord or power brick to plug it in. Or buying a laptop and not getting the power brick and cords.

I buy audio receivers with no speakers....

you sure do. But that is an understood. And even an receiver is a component. But a laptop is the best analogous comparison. If you bought a laptop and didn't get a power brick or charger cord wouldn't you feel ripped off?

you sure do. But that is an understood. And even an receiver is a component. But a laptop is the best analogous comparison. If you bought a laptop and didn't get a power brick or charger cord wouldn't you feel ripped off?
I buy Pi’s with no power cord. Lots of industrial PCs.

its a matter of expectations, not givens

USB C I could live with - honestly not sure why Apple hasn't jumped over to that. Lightning was/is great, but it doesn't really do anything now that USB C doesn't do either, so now I think it's just a legacy thing with Apple
Pretty much; I don't know why they haven't switched over full-stop, though it may be due to wanting to switch over to wireless charging. Apple is advertising a Belkin device that charges phone, watch, and earbuds at once.

Though since they put USB C ports on everything that isn't a phone already, they'd might as well if they're going to keep the physical port.
I'm sure that was the largest fine that Apple wouldn't fight in court.
If only because a higher amount would make the route tempting for others!
Nothing would happen if devices had replaceable standard format battery and standard connectors for charge. Nothing, anything argued about it is bull crap and anyone with sincere thoughts and 2 neurons to rub together knows this.
Standards inhibit innovation. They drive innovation of their own of course, but in 'young' markets like mobile computing, it's still best to let the market figure things out as much as possible. And it's not like there aren't 'standards'; there are plenty already. They don't cover everything, but they do cover a lot, some mandated like radios and battery safety and USB (data signalling / minimum set of voltages supported), others like IP ratings, security, and screen brightness out of marketability.
Why I consider this such a failure, when people starve and die in war and so on
This happens because people. Humanity could collectively decide to make sure that no human ever starved to death out of a lack of access to food, and yet people starve to death even as the food they'd need to survive is produced and discarded elsewhere by other people that wish to freely give it. Why? Because access to food is a means of control and some people would rather ensure that human beings starve to death than give up control.

Of course, that's politics, and it's not something that's going to change anytime soon for so many reasons that aren't appropriate to go into here, so let's just say that advancements in other aspects shouldn't be ignored on account of humans still being... human.
I'll file that under 'it depends'.

Put another way, so long as the laptop wasn't 'out of spec'* many probably already have a charge or three that will work. I'm on my third charger for one of our laptops because the OEM charger connecter got busted up due to abuse and the first replacement got busted within a week of purchase... while being careful with it.

The third is literally just a high-powered wall-wart with a few USB C ports on it combined with a long, nicer-quality cable, and that can be used to charge anything.

So at this point, for a phone, tablet, or computer, I'd almost rather just find my own solution that fits how I'll be using the device.

*(I have an XPS 15 that's out of spec, it needs too much juice to run and charge its battery at the same time than the USB spec allows for)

Charger I think your pretty much there. Qi has pretty well become the de facto standard for wireless charging.

Sure, there are lots of variants for different levels of fast charging.. but any Qi phone should charge at least at some basic level on any Qi charger, and I don't know that any wireless charging phones out right now that aren't Qi compatible - including Apple.
Did I miss something on Qi? Like, at best it’s terribly inefficient (best case scenario, perfectly aligned, below 70%), and at worst it seems to be a fire hazard. Additionally, heat decreases battery life, so not only do you get poor efficiency and a potential fire hazard, but you also kill your battery. That’s a lot of negatives in exchange for not having to plug the phone in.

I do have some personal experience with it too, as I bought an otter box Qi charger to try. On my old iPhone 8, when poorly aligned, it gets so hot you can barely hold it. The iPhone 12 isn’t really substantially better. I guess I don’t get the appeal.

I do have some personal experience with it too, as I bought an otter box Qi charger to try. On my old iPhone 8, when poorly aligned, it gets so hot you can barely hold it. The iPhone 12 isn’t really substantially better. I guess I don’t get the appeal.
I need to look up Apple's solution. Not terribly interested in wireless charging myself, but it does seem like one less thing to wear out the port on the phone, especially since that port is likely to be filled with a DAC most of the time because f@&* Bluetooth 😂

I need to look up Apple's solution. Not terribly interested in wireless charging myself, but it does seem like one less thing to wear out the port on the phone, especially since that port is likely to be filled with a DAC most of the time because f@&* Bluetooth 😂
The Apple option has mag safe - it guarantees that you’ll get perfect alignment, so it always hits that just under 70% efficacy if you don’t use a case. Of course, if you don’t use a case, mag safe will scratch your phone pretty quickly. If you do use the case, efficiency will drop again.

The Apple option has mag safe - it guarantees that you’ll get perfect alignment, so it always hits that just under 70% efficacy if you don’t use a case. Of course, if you don’t use a case, mag safe will scratch your phone pretty quickly. If you do use the case, efficiency will drop again.
I saw some cases from Apple for this... these also drop efficiency?

Did I miss something on Qi? Like, at best it’s terribly inefficient (best case scenario, perfectly aligned, below 70%), and at worst it seems to be a fire hazard. Additionally, heat decreases battery life, so not only do you get poor efficiency and a potential fire hazard, but you also kill your battery. That’s a lot of negatives in exchange for not having to plug the phone in.
That is an entirely different discussion than it being a standards based charger available on nearly every phone though.

Become a Patron!
Back