Apple M2 Ultra Scores in Geekbench 5 Show It Often Getting Crushed by AMD and Intel in Most Multi-Threaded Tests

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The Apple M2 Ultra is the latest processor to power Apple's range of Mac products including the Mac Studio, Mac Pro, and 15-inch MacBook Air. Mac devices are often aimed at professional users for tasks such as video, audio, and image editing. As such applications are usually custom tailored to their processors and optimized for their strengths. That being said, synthetic benchmarks do not always tell the whole story of what a processor, or system, is truly capable of in real-world workload scenarios. As much of a step forward for Mac users as the Apple M2 Ultra may be over its predecessor a recent Geekbench post shows it still has a long way to go in terms of traditional multicore tasks, or at least benchmarks.

See full article...

I wouldn't be surprised if " productivity" software moved to game style streaming in the relatively short term. Its really something quite suitable for this, and it will make so much of this hardware measuring contest meaningless. Connection wouldn't even need to be low latency like gaming, fast uploads would be a nice bonus to have but even that I think could be ameliorated.

I wouldn't be surprised if " productivity" software moved to game style streaming in the relatively short term. Its really something quite suitable for this, and it will make so much of this hardware measuring contest meaningless. Connection wouldn't even need to be low latency like gaming, fast uploads would be a nice bonus to have but even that I think could be ameliorated.
You clearly haven’t seen the latest editions of Google productivity suite or Office 365

Enterprise will largely avoid that for creative workers at least.

You clearly haven’t seen the latest editions of Google productivity suite or Office 365
Office 365 yes, at work. Is that cloud/streaming type situation? Admit it works perfectly, if it is I noticed nothing ( if its not then its not). No idea about Google. And yes I despise subscription, and centralized software and so on BUT doesn't mean can't acknowledge reality. If you mean it like they are already, then I expect this to spread more, to pictures to video so on. All this big desktop crap could very well die for 'productivity work' at least, gaming I am not so sure due to irregularities in latency.

Enterprise will largely avoid that for creative workers at least.
I don't think so. I think they will love it. Cheap crap access boxes call it a day. Perhaps color accurate monitors that they will keep forever. Not saying I agree with centralized, subscription, but so many seem to love this crap. They will love it even more as it lowers hardware requirements more and more.

Right up until their once private IP is accidentally or maliciously exposed and broken to the world.

I don't think so. I think they will love it. Cheap crap access boxes call it a day. Perhaps color accurate monitors that they will keep forever. Not saying I agree with centralized, subscription, but so many seem to love this crap. They will love it even more as it lowers hardware requirements more and more.
Corporate loves subscription based things over large up front investments, even if in the long run the investment would be much more economical.

Become a Patron!
Back