Apple Music Getting Lossless HiFi Streaming Tier

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Image: Apple

Audiophiles who are subscribed to Apple’s music streaming service, Apple Music, will finally be able to enjoy high-quality, lossless audio soon. This is according to a report from MacRumors, which discovered code in the iOS 14.6 beta referencing new quality options such as “lossless” and “HiFi.” Additional code within the beta also suggests that Apple Music users will be able to switch between standard, compressed, and lossless quality without interruption. According to a separate story from music industry trade publication Hits Daily Double, Apple’s new high-fidelity audio streaming tier will cost $9.99—the same price as its standard plan for individuals...

Continue reading...

...that you'll access via an iphone or ipad with bluetooth headphones because they don't have headphone jacks. Sure, BT is "lossless" too, right? right....

...that you'll access via an iphone or ipad with bluetooth headphones because they don't have headphone jacks. Sure, BT is "lossless" too, right? right....
I agree except that I've at least three copies of their little Lightning to 3.5mm dongle and... well, it's gotten rave reviews from audiophiles for a reason.

Like, my iPhone 12 can drive my Hifiman HE4XX through it without obvious compromise to sound quality. And the upgraded (for 2012...) audio in my Accord sounds pretty good piped through one, indistinguishable from the also rather good quality I got out of my old Pixel 3a.

But again, point taken about Bluetooth, I'm just not planning to go anywhere near that technology unnecessarily myself :)

Probably meant to pair with their HomePod - although it’s a few years too late for that

Apple? no thanks. It's not like you can't get lossless audio on Spotify, Deezer or anywhere else.

I stream lossless from Tidal at home thru a few 2 chan HiFi systems, mostly with older components with the exception of the DAC.

In my car I couldnt care less so its bluetooth. I mostly have no music when I drive. News sometimes or a podcast. I like engine noises.

Headphones get little to no use around here, even tho I have some Grado's and Sennheiser's somewhere in a drawer and my phone has a MQA capable DAC. I Just cant with the soundstage, so flat compared to proberly placed large air moving speakers. I want to feel the music too.

I agree except that I've at least three copies of their little Lightning to 3.5mm dongle

I'm pretty good with keeping up with dongles and adapters too... but most people aren't. My wife has lost so many dongles, cords, you name it. There must be a portal to another dimension in her purse...

No thanks, I prefer to keep my collection and its quality without suspension.

Become a Patron!
Back