Apple Prepping 128-Core GPUs and 32-Core ARM CPUs to Best Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
apple-m1-chip-bare-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

Apple’s plan to replace its entire Mac lineup with custom ARM-based silicon appears to be progressing quicker than anyone might’ve expected. According to Bloomberg’s sources, the computer giant is making headway on high-performance M1 chips that can outperform the Intel processors utilized in current iMac and Mac Pro models. These include a 32-core design that could launch as early as late 2021.

“With today’s Intel systems, Apple’s highest-end laptops offer a maximum of eight cores, a high-end iMac Pro is available with as many as 18 and the priciest Mac Pro desktop features as much as a 28-core system,” Bloomberg noted. “Though architecturally...

Continue reading...

When I said I wanted more diversity / competition in the GPU space, this is not what I was thinking of.....
I second that. However, if they can get their act together that quickly, well, all the power to them.

maybe Apple will be a viable gaming platform in the coming years .... ?

Claimed leapfrog in tech seen all the time... ACTUAL leapfrogging.... Not so much, so we will see. Good if they can.

Given that Apple hardware only ends up in Apple devices, it will only teach all the wrong lessons to all the companies out there trying to just carbon copy the tech

Become a Patron!
Back