Apple to Switch to In-House Screens (microLED) for iPhones, Apple Watch, and Other Mobile Devices

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung Display is seemingly about to lose a major customer. According to a Bloomberg report regarding the tech giant's latest plans, Apple will begin using its own custom displays in mobile devices as early as 2024 so it no longer has to rely on third-party technology partners, which currently include LG and Samsung. The Apple Watch is the first device that will feature in-house displays designed by Apple, which happen to be microLED, sources say.

See full article...

" designed " by Apple, built by xyz, or really designed and built by apple?. I can " design " my screens, i just go to the manufacturer, tell them which colors I want in what flavors, voilà. Now I know there can be more than this, but how much more if you ain't building it? Did they buy a plant and expertise?

Not sure how they are going to do microLED when Samsung has the patent on the tech.

" designed " by Apple, built by xyz, or really designed and built by apple?. I can " design " my screens, i just go to the manufacturer, tell them which colors I want in what flavors, voilà. Now I know there can be more than this, but how much more if you ain't building it? Did they buy a plant and expertise?
I imagine it'll be the same arrangement as they do with their CPUs and other chips: They design it, some fabrication/manufacturing facility makes it for them to their spec. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a deal with Samsung outright to fabricate them and that's part of a licensing agreement; but it will be a lot different than the current monitor situation where there are only like 3 panels, and everyone is just putting a different bezel and firmware behind the same hardware: this will be Apple exclusive in some manner, I just don't know how.

Become a Patron!
Back