ASRock Sidesteps Intel with Base Frequency Boost Technology, Bringing Overclocking to Non-K Series CPUs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
asrock-z490-motherboards-1024x576.jpg
Image: ASRock

There could be a storm brewing between Intel and ASRock. While the former’s K-series Core processors are specially binned and designed for overclocking, ASRock believes that privilege should be extended to other SKUs and has developed a technology allowing users to do just that. A new “Base Frequency Boost” (BFB) feature will enable overclocking on non-K-series chips and the company’s non-Z-series Intel 400 series motherboards.

asrock-base-frequency-boost-technology-1024x576.jpg
Image: ASRock

“The technology will allegedly increase the TDP of the processor to the maximum PL1 value, which would therefore as a result, increase the frequency of the processor,” VideoCardz reported...

Continue reading...

HA I'm going to love watching this. Here's hoping that the safety features in these chips are fully enabled, or we might see some cooked chips here soon.

Intel: "What brand motherboard was this CPU installed in you need an RMA on?"

Customer: "Oh it's an ASUS nnn Motherboard."

Intel: "I'm sorry we can't RMA intel CPU's used on ASUS motherboards of this generation due to a feature called Base Frequency boost. It specifically bypasses restrictions on these chips we put in place to make sure they had a good long service life. You can find our policy announcement about this on the addendum pamphlet that shipped with your CPU. I can also send you a link to the same if you desire."

Customer: "Wait the chip died because of the ASUS feature?"

Intel: "We do believe so."
________________________________________________________________________________

ASUS: "Thank you for calling ASUS how can I help you?"

Customer: "Hi intel refused to RMA my CPU because your motherboard killed it."

ASUS: "Can you prove our motherboard was directly responsible for the failure?"

Customer: "Well... how would I do that?"

ASUS: "I'm not sure sir, but if you would like to send in your motherboard for an RMA..."

Customer: "Can I get a refund?"

ASUS: "I'm afraid not sir. Without proving in some fashion that our motherboard killed your CPU we can not refund a failed CPU from Intel, nor can we refund your purchase price. But we will gladly RMA your board and examine it. If we can find a failure in the motherboard we will ship you a correctly functioning one for just the cost of shipping and handling."

Customer: ...

Fun times ahead.

Seems like the last time a Mobo vendor did something like this, Intel pulled support for them until they un-did it. Think it was ASRock, similar deal, either it was overclocking non-K or overclocking on non-Z chipsets, I can't recall exactly.

Nice job ASRock. Although, I wouldn't put it past Intel to strong arm ASRock into disabling this feature in some way or crippling it in future microcode updates.

Nice job ASRock. Although, I wouldn't put it past Intel to strong arm ASRock into disabling this feature in some way or crippling it in future microcode updates.

Oh yea I see this happening. BUT... to be honest if this makes the Intel CPU's perform better and customers are willing to take the risk and it generates good chatter for intel... I bet they let it pass.

HA I'm going to love watching this. Here's hoping that the safety features in these chips are fully enabled, or we might see some cooked chips here soon.

Intel: "What brand motherboard was this CPU installed in you need an RMA on?"

Customer: "Oh it's an ASUS nnn Motherboard."

Intel: "I'm sorry we can't RMA intel CPU's used on ASUS motherboards of this generation due to a feature called Base Frequency boost. It specifically bypasses restrictions on these chips we put in place to make sure they had a good long service life. You can find our policy announcement about this on the addendum pamphlet that shipped with your CPU. I can also send you a link to the same if you desire."

Customer: "Wait the chip died because of the ASUS feature?"

Intel: "We do believe so."
________________________________________________________________________________

ASUS: "Thank you for calling ASUS how can I help you?"

Customer: "Hi intel refused to RMA my CPU because your motherboard killed it."

ASUS: "Can you prove our motherboard was directly responsible for the failure?"

Customer: "Well... how would I do that?"

ASUS: "I'm not sure sir, but if you would like to send in your motherboard for an RMA..."

Customer: "Can I get a refund?"

ASUS: "I'm afraid not sir. Without proving in some fashion that our motherboard killed your CPU we can not refund a failed CPU from Intel, nor can we refund your purchase price. But we will gladly RMA your board and examine it. If we can find a failure in the motherboard we will ship you a correctly functioning one for just the cost of shipping and handling."

Customer: ...

Fun times ahead.

Pretty sure ASUS isn't the parent company to ASRock anymore.

They love doing this and I love them for it. They allowed non k CPUs to OC back in the day. I utilized that feature to great effect on my friends old rig.

Pretty sure ASUS isn't the parent company to ASRock anymore.

Wow ok according to a google you are absolutely correct. Asrock is owned by Pegatron.

And that is a **** big company for me having never heard of it. They used to own ASustek as well but spun it off in 2008.

I think Pegatron is mostly an OEM manufacturer. Like - all those generic consumer electronic devices that all look the same, just have a different sticker on the front (DVRs, DVD players, off-brand entertainment devices, apparently drones, etc) - so there isn't really anything "Pegatron" branded, but you probably have more manufactured there in your house than you would think.

That was what ASRock started out as as well - OEM PC parts, but started to do more gaming oriented stuff once it was spun off.

Become a Patron!
Back