ASUS Is the First Motherboard Manufacturer to Offer Intel’s New Microcode Update to Address 13th/14th Gen Core Instability Issues

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
It is encouraging that ASUS is the first motherboard manufacturer to begin releasing new microcode following its statement yesterday that it too would honor an extended warranty for affected processors, something that not all manufacturers may choose to do. The new Beta BIOS 2503/1503 update is currently only available to select ROG MAXIMUS/STRIX/PROART/AYW Z790 Series motherboards.

See full article...

It will be interesting to see what the performance impact will be.

(Because I am assuming there is no way they can lower the voltage enough to make a difference that performance is not impacted)

Jay has a video up, seems to be somewhat depending on the program you run, some small drops here and there in perf.

Darn, the Tuf Gaming Z790 Pro WIFI I have doesn't have the BIOS available yet. I am planning to do a comparison test, hopefully that BIOS will come soon to this motherboard so I can do that.

I actually think MSI beat them to the punch. I got the update for one my MSI boards yesterday, and the second today, which both are mid tier boards. Nice of Asus to release it for their "high" end boards first.

Darn, the Tuf Gaming Z790 Pro WIFI I have doesn't have the BIOS available yet. I am planning to do a comparison test, hopefully that BIOS will come soon to this motherboard so I can do that.

I actually think MSI beat them to the punch. I got the update for one my MSI boards yesterday, and the second today, which both are mid tier boards. Nice of Asus to release it for their "high" end boards first.

Everything with ASUS always starts from the top of the ROG series and trickles downward.

Wasn't ASUS one of the worst offenders to over volting CPU's with their stock BIOS settings?
Time and time again, yep! Pretty sure there are some meme's about it out there. GN really dug into them recently regarding their own warranty process and it looks like ASUS, at least for now, is sincerely trying to make amends and set a higher standard for all but only time will tell if they truly commit on all levels.

Time and time again, yep! Pretty sure there are some meme's about it out there. GN really dug into them recently regarding their own warranty process and it looks like ASUS, at least for now, is sincerely trying to make amends and set a higher standard for all but only time will tell if they truly commit on all levels.

Yeah, while Asus has traditionally had a very good reputation for product capability and quality, their RMA process has always had a reputation of being utter crap.

Now more recently finding out that they are playing fast and loose with voltages and damaging CPU's makes me not know what to think.

That said, my understanding is that they were pretty much all doing it. AMD and Intel provided the board partners specs, and the board partners just overvolted anyway, even at stock settings.

Back in 2019 and early 2020 my Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master cooked two Threadripper 3960x CPU's before I figured out what was going on. Each time it too 5-6 weeks before it degraded them to the point where they would just not power on. (power button, fans briefly spin, then off)

AMD was a real trooper and RMA'd them both. In the end the solution wound up being using an open box Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha from Microcenter, the only other board I could find locally and quickly when I just wanted to get up and running.

Troubleshooting this thing and waiting for various RMA's to complete including sending Gigabyte their motherboard, and having it come back with "no problem found" twice, once even after I found out that others were measuring voltage actuals too high on it) cost me like a year total without my system.

When I got it back the second time with "no problem found" is when I went down to Microcenter and bough the only TRX40 motherboard they had, that ridiculous open box Rog Zenith II Extreme Alpha thing. At least it worked, and my CPU has been fine ever since.

I then bitched at Gigabyte a lot after more and more people reported having voltage issues with their TRX40 boards, and got them to do one last RMA. I had hoped (and tried to push for) them giving me some sort of store credit or refund, since I already had a working motherboard at this point, but instead they replaced the board with a newer revision board. I still have it. I tried posting it for sale, but no one seemed to want it :p Not a lot of people rockling Treadripper 3000 CPU's out there I guess :p

I was so pissed about this. Most expensive system I've ever built sat for a year depreciating without me being able to use it, not to mention the $600 extra motherboard. Lots of time and money down the tubes. These warranties should really compensate you for your time and money, not just send you replacement hardware. That would be a hell of a lot more fair.

So all of that said, the worst problem I've ever had in this regard was with Gigabyte, but I've also heard about the issue swith Asus. Now I have no idea what I would choose for my next motherboard. Asus reportedly one of the worst (though the ROG board worked out for me) I've personally had bad issues with Gigabyte... MSI? Asrock? Who else is out there? Are any of them trustworthy anymore?

I've personally had bad issues with Gigabyte... MSI? Asrock? Who else is out there? Are any of them trustworthy anymore?
They all have had their issues. I was a big Gigabyte user until one of their Master boards was wonky then I went back to Asus and their customer service was very poor. I've used MSI in the past when they weren't so popular and never had an issue. Not sure why I didn't give them more of a look until recently, but they have been very solid. I know they had a scandal with "bullying" reviewers a while back. I've used one low end Asrock board with a 8700K a while ago and it was decent. I guess it's suffice to say nobody is perfect.

So all of that said, the worst problem I've ever had in this regard was with Gigabyte, but I've also heard about the issue swith Asus. Now I have no idea what I would choose for my next motherboard. Asus reportedly one of the worst (though the ROG board worked out for me) I've personally had bad issues with Gigabyte... MSI? Asrock? Who else is out there? Are any of them trustworthy anymore?

I've had two Aorus mobo's, current one in my rig for 5 years, no issues. Two Asrock mobo's without issue. I think my last Asus board was a socket 939 A8V Deluxe which was like cream of the crop back then.

Looking at building my next rig here soon and am leaning towards Aorus again. Though might give MSI a shot.

Become a Patron!
Back