ASUS Mentions AMD X590 Chipset in Confidential Documents

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The X590 chipset could be real after all. VideoCardz has gotten its hands on confidential documents from ASUS that mention two X590 motherboards: the PRIME X590-PRO and ROG STRIX X590-E.

It isn't clear whether these are actually in development or how they would differ from X570 boards, but PCIe 4.0 exclusivity is obviously out. ASUS is also working on a ZENITH II EXTREME, which alludes to another unannounced chipset, X599.

The original rumor was that X590 would support PCIe Gen4, while X570 would retain PCIe Gen3 compatibility. As you know, X570 already supports Gen4, as so do many X470 motherboards. That said we are unsure how different X590 will be from X570. But one could guess that X590 launch will be connected to 16-core Ryzen 9 3950X launch, which is expected in 2 months.

Well, x590 was previously explained away as an old idea that they had abandoned.

How do we know that these aren't just old Asus documents from back when that chipset was being considered, and nothing is coming at all?

We don't. But I've heard nothing about a X590 chipset. Given X570's price and what it offers, I can't really imagine what it could bring to the table. Do they really need to go higher end at this point?

We don't. But I've heard nothing about a X590 chipset. Given X570's price and what it offers, I can't really imagine what it could bring to the table. Do they really need to go higher end at this point?

Before the 7nm launch there were rumors of a chipset with 40 PCIe lanes. Maybe that is what this is? You'd obviously need more uplink to the chipset in order to support this many lanes, which probably means sacrificing the 4 direct to CPU m.2 lanes most boards currently implement, but I have to say, I'd be interested. While I could make the currently released x570 work for me, it would be just barely. I always like seeing more PCIe lanes.

X570 with quad channel memory = X590 would probably suffice for most HEDT users...

X570 with quad channel memory = X590 would probably suffice for most HEDT users...

I don't think you can accomplish quad channel memory without adding more pins to the socket. The memory controller is on the CPU since ~1999 or so.

Either way, in what workloads does it really make a difference? I seem to remember the real world performance differences being mostly academic.

I wouldn't mind a B550 release, but doesn't look like that will be anytime soon.

I don't think you can accomplish quad channel memory without adding more pins to the socket. The memory controller is on the CPU since ~1999 or so.

Either way, in what workloads does it really make a difference? I seem to remember the real world performance differences being mostly academic.

Greater memory bandwidth is useful for some applications, but mostly for database servers and things like that. It's not really that beneficial for most desktop or even workstation applications.

Become a Patron!
Back