ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 43-Inch 4K 144 Hz HDMI 2.1 Monitor Specifications and International Pricing Revealed

I briefly had VA panels when I ordered 3 Viewsonic 27" 2K monitors, but 2 of the 3 arriving detective meant they all got returned. The black levels looked much better than the IPS panels I was trying to replace. I made my way to an OLED for my desktop and it does everything I've been looking for in a monitor.

Viewsonic
I found your problem. Viewsonic was 'okay' back when they were reselling Sony Trinitrons, but I can't say they've been relevant for the last... over a decade?

The black levels looked much better than the IPS panels I was trying to replace.
On my gaming VA, while it has more contrast, the dark transitions are so slow that they turn into mud. Or, with the right colors for text or something similar, scrolling up or down leaves a smear that looks something like how ink spreads when a droplet of ink is dropped into water.

In practice, the additional contrast is useless, and the downsides are overwhelming.

I made my way to an OLED for my desktop and it does everything I've been looking for in a monitor.
my body is ready

On my gaming VA, while it has more contrast, the dark transitions are so slow that they turn into mud. Or, with the right colors for text or something similar, scrolling up or down leaves a smear that looks something like how ink spreads when a droplet of ink is dropped into water.

Sounds awful, I never experienced anything like that on a VA panel.
Personally I would not want to live without VA blacks.

Sounds awful, I never experienced anything like that on a VA panel.
Personally I would not want to live without VA blacks.

I've heard horror stories about every single monitor technology out there. VA has always worried me on ghosting and text clarity more so than anything.
The backlight bleed / black levels on IPS are horrible, but the colors pop well and most things come through very clear.
TN looks like washed out trash, but is pretty cheap and can crank up the Hz.
And OLED burns in, and is either redonkulously expensive or only available in wall-mount TV sizes.

Really it's more a matter of learning what downsides you can live with, rather than finding a perfect monitor that just doesn't exist.

VA has always worried me on ghosting and text clarity more so than anything
My C27HG70 uses a VA panel. Love the black levels and the contrast, hate the viewing angles, never had issues with ghosting, but I do miss the text clarity, colors, and viewing angles of IPS. In general I prefer IPS, but I'm fine with VA panels from time to time too. My Dell U2410 with the IPS panel had some light bleeding along the top and bottom edges, but you could really only see it on all-black screens.

TN looks like washed out trash, but is pretty cheap and can crank up the Hz.
I really hate TN panels. Don't care that they can get to insane refresh rates. My eyes bleed when I look at them. Once I tried both VA and IPS I knew I would never ever go back to TN. I didn't like TNs even when they were the only option. Back then I was still rocking CRTs.

What I really wish is for normal-sized PC monitors to have the same kind of image quality and HDR found on good HDTVs. Not everyone has the space to use big-@ss HDTVs as main PC monitors like some of my friends do. Also don't know why we don't see more OLED monitors.

And OLED burns in, and is either redonkulously expensive or only available in wall-mount TV sizes.
Yyeeaahh, and my friend with the CX found out more **** too, like apparently you shouldn't expose your OLED HDTV to direct strong sunlight (which he said is a problem in his living room). Not sure when MicroLED or whatever's supposed to replace OLED will hit regular availability and normal mainstream prices, but I long for that day. For right now, I don't think I'd mind an OLED for console gaming, but I wouldn't want to use it as a main PC monitor. My friend uses his for console games, and PC games where he uses a controller. Otherwise he sticks to his 1440p 144Hz monitor.

I'm still on a Samsung B650 37" HDTV from 2009, so at this point any HDTV is an upgrade really. Last year I was trying to decide between TVs like the Samsung Q80T and the LG CX, but had to use the money for other things in life, and so getting a new HDTV was put on the backburner. I do like that HDTVs are now coming with VRR and 120Hz. Waiting for the day when I can get an IPS monitor that does at 240Hz or better at 1440p or higher. I hope HDTVs don't stop at 120Hz but keep pushing higher as well (sooner rather than later I mean, cuz we know eventually they'll go higher than 120Hz).

I made my way to an OLED for my desktop and it does everything I've been looking for in a monitor.
Daaaaang, sounds nice. I heard avoiding burn-in isn't much of a problem these days.

my body is ready
Yeah, cuz aside from the downsides, my body is ready for OLED everything.

Become a Patron!
Back