ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB OC Edition Video Card Review

I was leaning on trying AMD again this go around, but I read about a lot of users having game crashing issues and just instability. I may regret going to a card with only 12GB of Vram, but this card just chugs along with no issues in games. Maybe DLSS is part of that.
I've not had that issue... ok yes I did but that was easily remedied in less than 5 minutes with a settings tweak. Haven't tested with new drivers to see if it's still a thing.

I've not had that issue... ok yes I did but that was easily remedied in less than 5 minutes with a settings tweak. Haven't tested with new drivers to see if it's still a thing.
I was very tempted, but got a bit spoiled with the stability of Nvidia. Not saying that AMD hasn't made positive strides, but I just couldn't pull the trigger this time around.

I was very tempted, but got a bit spoiled with the stability of Nvidia. Not saying that AMD hasn't made positive strides, but I just couldn't pull the trigger this time around.
I bought an RX6800 16GB, that's paired with a 5800X3D, just to see what I'm missing.

Answer?

More RT grunt and DLSS, versus the 3080 12GB in my primary desktop.

On the other hand, the RX6800 seems to be more stable with newer releases, even if running a tad slower or running at lower settings.

watching it last night my entire rig was only drawing around 400 watts.
I was definitely aiming high on the 600W figure
I need to buy a new UPS for my 4090 and 3090 Ti (hybrid) rigs as my old ones have died (batteries 5-7 years old and I prefer a whole new unit to just replacing the battery) so I don't have an easy way to check from the wall but I can say that most games that I play that use RT/DLSS, and overclocked at ~100 FPS 4K will show those cards pulling ~370-450W with the 5800X3D @ 4450MHz at 45-68W during hours-long sessions. That being said I feel a safe estimate for my rigs is ~500-600W. However, dropping to 60 FPS can have both cards level off into the 250-350W range.

I've been running my 7900xtx as a counter point and it's been fine for the past week or so. Several hour sessions in Starfield and such. Of course I'm only gaming at 1440p and pushing it with a 5900xt so the performance my be slightly limited for what it would otherwise draw. watching it last night my entire rig was only drawing around 400 watts.

My system draws.... a little bit more than that.

Its really trough to narrow down how much is being drawn by the 4090 itself though. What with the Threadripper and the three D5 pumps and 24 fans going full blast when at load.

I haven't tested it using the Kill-A-Watt in a while. Last time I did was with the crazy high power 6900xt I had which was pushing 450 watts on its own. The whole system was totaling about 850w. Based on subjective measures only, I think it is drawing less power with the 4090.

I need to buy a new UPS for my 4090 and 3090 Ti (hybrid) rigs as my old ones have died (batteries 5-7 years old and I prefer a whole new unit to just replacing the battery) so I don't have an easy way to check from the wall but I can say that most games that I play that use RT/DLSS, and overclocked at ~100 FPS 4K will show those cards pulling ~370-450W with the 5800X3D @ 4450MHz at 45-68W during hours-long sessions. That being said I feel a safe estimate for my rigs is ~500-600W. However, dropping to 60 FPS can have both cards level off into the 250-350W range.

I usually get higher end enterprise model UPS:es and replace the batteries instead.

It just feels so wasteful to throw out the UPS every couple of years instead of just buying batteries, but I can definitely understand why you'd choose to do so, as they price everything to incentivize this, and 3rd party replacement batteries are hit or miss.

You should be able to get like 5 2 year battery changes out of a good one before you have to start worrying about the caps though.

My last purchase for my desktop was one of these Cyberpower PR1500LCD Smart App Sinewave models in order to cope with the crazy power use of the Threadripper and big-*** GPU.

Then when I moved the desktop to a separate room I realized that a UPS on the desktop is going to be pretty useless if the screens go out right away and I can't save my work and do a safe shutdown, so I got a separate UPS for my screens and other things on my desk.

I picked up one of these smaller units, a CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD PFC Sinewave. It was surprisingly affordable for a sine wave model, and has plenty of capacity for a few monitors and other local devices.

Last edited:
Why? I just replaced the batteries in about 9 UPS in the office instead of buying new. The UPS have like 8 years now, I've replaced the batteries every 2 years. Saved quite a bit of money.

Why? I just replaced the batteries in about 9 UPS in the office instead of buying new. The UPS have like 8 years now, I've replaced the batteries every 2 years. Saved quite a bit of money.
I just don't trust the chargers and I want to upgrade. Depending on the model I've replaced batteries in cheaper consumer models only to have the chargers fail. Conversely, I've changed batteries in high-end APCs (around 3-6, that has been running strong for over a decade at the office.

I just don't trust the chargers and I want to upgrade. Depending on the model I've replaced batteries in cheaper consumer models only to have the chargers fail. Conversely, I've changed batteries in high-end APCs (around 3-6, that has been running strong for over a decade at the office.

I really haven't have any problems with UPS, even the cheap consumer grade that we use for PCs at the office, the server ones on the site lasted for nearly a decade and we only replaced the batteries a couple of times. We use TrippLite.

We don't really have many power outages to begin with.

I had a big string of APC units where, even after a battery replacement, the electronics were just dying.

APC ain't what it used to be since getting bought out by Schneider (2007). The older ones you could swap batteries for many years. These days, they might last one replacement battery, but not always.

I've switched to Eaton/Tripplite for all my UPSes.

APC ain't what it used to be since getting bought out by Schneider (2007). The older ones you could swap batteries for many years. These days, they might last one replacement battery, but not always.

Agreed. APC used to be awesome. Their old models used to be tanks.

I still have a few of them around, but I don't use them for serious stuff, as their caps are likely all shot at this point, and I am not good enough with a soldering iron to replace them, and paying someone to do it would just be more money than it was worth.

Schneider Electric did irreparable harm to the APC brand which it will likely never recover from.

I've switched to Eaton/Tripplite for all my UPSes.

I've never tried them. I will have to give them a look the next time I'm on the market.

I went with CyberPower simply because that's what a bunch of the few seasoned Enterprise IT folks on the HardForums swore by.

CyberPower hasnt let me down yet, but the oldest one I have is less than a year old...

We don't really have many power outages to begin with.
Power in our neck of the woods is anything but stable. The things I've seen . . .
We use TrippLite.
I've switched to Eaton/Tripplite for all my UPSes
I'll have to look into them. Not familiar with that name.
Schneider Electric did irreparable harm to the APC brand which it will likely never recover from.
Never knew about that. I inherited the ones we have when I took over and that was around 5-10 years ago and I'm pretty sure they were all at least 3-5 years old then. On the flipside, they'll be getting shut off here soon enough as I complete our migration to Azure and retire the servers that are about the same age.

Become a Patron!
Back